Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnyyt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
i've decided to go ahead and get the rMBP 15
my choices are:
1) buy in store for 1999 (base model)
2) buy "brand new" online for 1800-1900
3) buy used online

i'm leaning towards option 2 or 3 because i live in toronto and taxes are HIGH.
i found a really great used one for 1800. it comes with standard specs on the rMBP 15 except for the ram which was upgrade to 16gb. the laptop was bought in july and its in "like new' condition.
the battery has 112 cycles which i don't know if its a good or bad thing..someone please help me with that

is there anything else i should ask or look for when buying that laptop or any laptop from a third party?

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
i've decided to go ahead and get the rMBP 15
my choices are:
1) buy in store for 1999 (base model)
2) buy "brand new" online for 1800-1900
3) buy used online

i'm leaning towards option 2 or 3 because i live in toronto and taxes are HIGH.
i found a really great used one for 1800. it comes with standard specs on the rMBP 15 except for the ram which was upgrade to 16gb. the laptop was bought in july and its in "like new' condition.
the battery has 112 cycles which i don't know if its a good or bad thing..someone please help me with that

is there anything else i should ask or look for when buying that laptop or any laptop from a third party?

Well if this matters to you, ask if there are any visible signs of damage (wear and tear, scratches, etc). Also ask if there are any accessories (Thunderbolt ==> Ethernet, any hard shell or carrying case/backpack etc) being sold with it. That's what I'd look for from a 3rd party seller. I plan on getting stuff like that when I get my rMBP whether I get it new or refurb.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
If you can get a refurb, go for it! I bought mine new but now I know its the same thing and fully inspected by apple

jesaja

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2003
Lichtenstein
When you buy used, be sure to ask what screen and ssd the MBP has (manufacturer) and if it has any pixel errors, etc. ;)

One of the perks of buying used :cool:

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
When you buy used, be sure to ask what screen and ssd the MBP has (manufacturer) and if it has any pixel errors, etc. ;)

One of the perks of buying used :cool:

And to disable firmware password (if any). That's a priority!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.