Buying a used rMP 15" - price advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dsgarvin84, Oct 23, 2015.

1. dsgarvin84 macrumors newbie

Long time site visitor, first time poster....

I'm in need of advice regarding a new rMBP.

I currently have an late 2012 MBA (13", i5, 8GB RAM, 128 SSD). Unfortunately, the computer keeps freezing frequently and I'm left with only a beachball or spinning 'tick marks' in a circle.

So, I'm in the market for a new computer. I use my computer heavily but not for intensive tasks. I'm in grad school so a lot of writing (Word) and large excel files and databases or SPSS, and then general web (but with lots of tabs), email, and light photo editing and storage (though I do have a 100+ GB photo library).

While I like the 13" screen size I'm intrigued with a larger screen. I also would like a larger HD. My 128 GB filled up quickly, so I know I need at least 256 but would like to swing to 512 if possible.

I have the option to buy a late 2013 rMBP (15", 16 GB RAM, 512 SSD) from a friend for $!,800. The computer checks all my needs, but I'm a bit hesitant to spend that much (though I know that what it will costs to get all my need covered).

So - any suggestions? Is this a fair price? Any known issues with the late 2013 rMBP 15" models?

Also - I can go through the Apple store with the edu discount if I want to buy something new.

Thanks in advance.

2. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

3. dsgarvin84 thread starter macrumors newbie

$1,800.

Wow - Good call. I wasn't aware of the B&H site. That makes a decision between a friend's and this new one a no-brainer.

Now I suppose I need to determine if I really need the extra screen real estate (13 v. 15) and weight.

Any thoughts?

4. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

I had a late 2013 13" rMBP before I switched to a mid 2014 15". I don't mind the extra weight of the 15" and the extra screen real estate makes a difference (along with being twice as fast :D).
    I ain't going back to 13", that's for sure.

5. jermy4 macrumors demi-god

$1,800 is probably too much money for your friends computer since you could buy a refurb 13" for less than that. The 13" is dual core and comes with 8GB of RAM standard while the 15" is quad core and comes with 16GB of RAM standard ... so screen size aside do you need the extra power and is it worth the increased price, that's what you need to figure out.