buying a used superdrive, what to check for?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by burnttoast0304, Nov 15, 2008.

1. burnttoast0304 macrumors member

Hey guys im buying a used superdrive off a local seller i was wondering if there is anything that i should check for?

thanks in advance!

2. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

ask to see if you can put a disc in, and plug it into your macbook air. If it works, then great.

I think that's the only thing you need to check for, that it works. And maybe the usual stuff to see if it is dented etc.

3. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

Before you buy it, pop in a dvd or something to make sure it works…

I mean, there's nothing really specific, if you really want to be on the cautious side you could burn a DVD with it.

Also, be cautious, a lot of people get robbed when dealing with local sellers.

4. gadgeteeer macrumors newbie

I would suggest using some scratchy disk during test, this is to prove is reading capability...

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

The most common difficulty with a SuperDrive is with the burning phase (laser calibration errors, etc.) so that is the most important to check.

That being said, unless they are basically giving you the drive keep in mind (unless it is an internal laptop drive which is still relatively expensive) that brand new warranty carrying current generation "SuperDrives" are less than $30 at newegg.com and OWC to name a couple of good suppliers.;)

6. burnttoast0304 thread starter macrumors member

hey sorry should of made it more clear, this is for the macbook air

thanks guys for the replies i will defintely bring a scratched up dvd tomrrow along with a good condition dvd to test it out

cheers!

7. burnttoast0304 thread starter macrumors member

haha yah thats why im asking to meet on campus - somewhere theres a lot of people! I have heard of many horror stories of meeting sellers