Buying a vaccuum

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 7on, Aug 31, 2009.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I need some advice on buying a vaccuum. Our $50 one bought about 3 years ago isn't cutting the mustard anymore and we need a new one. Budget is roughly $100-150 but I'm not an expert so if there's a significant difference with a $200 one I'm sure we can splurge on it.

Thanks

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, what does it need to do?
    Floors, mainly? Carpeted? Wood? Sheet Vinyl? Vinyl Composition Tiles?

If carpet AND one or more of the others above, you'd really like a model that has a rotating brush that can be turned off. That brush can damage wood and some sheet vinyl products.

There are several such models to choose from. When we needed a new vacuum a few years ago, the Panasonic MC-V5744 was our choice. It was reasonably priced, and is flexible.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Dunno how much dysons are over there but you can't beat them.

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I think we spent around $180 or so on a Bissel liftoff a few years back. I love it, but the cost of replaces the HEPA air filter adds up over time and I don't like cleaning filters.

We are planning to get a Dyson soon to replace it. The cost over the life of the vacuum ends up being the same.

6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

When it comes to vacuums, I won't buy anything but an Electrolux anymore. End of story.

Just remember that when choosing a vacuum (like so many other things) you get what you pay for.

7. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Dyson doesn't use HEPA filter??

8. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

No...I'm not certain how all it works, but there's a removable filter, and the cyclones spin dirt out of the air as well.

They work fantastically well - we got ours a few months after a bunch of road construction ended in front of my house, and they used a bunch of sand...it was DISGUSTING how much sand the Dyson got out of the carpet that our 16 year old Electrolux had left behind. The Electrolux treated us very well over the years, but we were just blown away.

It's way above the OP's pricerange, though—we spent over $500 on ours. So long as it lasts a good, long time it should be well worth it.

9. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

All their filters are washable, vs. disposable.

I thought you can get a dyson starting at $299 no? :confused:

10. djellison macrumors 68020

We have a Dyson ( I used to live a few miles from their Malmesbury HQ) and it's brilliant - 6 years old, still going strong.Building debris, cat litter, the works. No problem. We're thinking of getting the new Dyson Ball one to replace it though :) Our current one has a prototype HEPA filter in it as a friend worked at HQ testing them. It's the pet special one, from before they released a dedicated pet version of the one we have. We just throw it in the washing machine with things like bath mats every now and again.

11. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

My family has a Rainbow. They're pricey (and highly irritating if you're not careful with them or have clutter on the floor into which they can crash) but they have the water canister instead of a dry canister or bag. There's no dust and you can suck up just about anything. It looks like R2D2 and has run like a tank since we bought it like 20 years ago.

I'd recommend one of them.

12. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Water canister? so you dump it in the toilet afterward?

13. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The dyson has two washable filters one being hepa. You don't ever need to replace them nore buy bags for it.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If you can afford if go for Dyson. We tried a couple once our Kirby broke and just stuck with them. Just bought a Dyson Ball (DC25) and it's flat out brilliant, as far as vacuum cleaners go at least :D.
    Yea. They do us well.

15. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

I'd second that. It's extremely expensive--new one is over $1K--but I really love that it uses water as filter. I believe you can only buy one through one of their agents/sales person.