buying a vehicle in the US?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Keebler, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hey there,

with the Canadian dollar almost on par with the USD, i'm wondering if it benefits to buying my new truck in the US? I'm not that far from the border and given that there's nearly a $10 K difference b/n the 2....what are my options?

Any specific websites out there? I read somewhere that some manufacturers won't allow the sale to Canadians from US dealers?

Cheers,
    Keebler

2. cptpower macrumors regular

cptpower

I heard of a Lexus dealer down in Colorado that refused to sell to a Canuck, and Lexus basically told the guy "too bad, buy one in Canada".

I know quite a few others though that don't have a problem at all buying cars/trucks over the border. There's a couple things you have to note though:

- You still have to pay GST on the purchase, so make sure you're calculating that into everything.
    - You'll probably need to have a out-of-province inspection done, so make sure you're buying a truck that has all the necessary emission requirements for your province.
    - Warranty!! Buying in the US and taking it to Canada could potentially void the warranty. Now, if you're saving 10K by doing this, then you basically have 10K to spend on any warranty work if it is void. That's just a risk you take though. Not all companies void their warranty in this case; you'll want to take a look at this a little closer to be certain.

Hope that helps.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Hi Keebler

There is a pretty detailed thread on www.redflagdeals.com complete with links - check in the Forum under Hot Deals and search a bit.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I know someone who moved from Canada to the US (why the hell would you do that?) and brought his car along and said that registering a car purchased in another country was more trouble than it's worth. Even though the exact same car is sold in the US, there was a ton of paperwork involved, safety inspections, taxes, fees, all that good stuff and he said in hindsight, he should've sold the car in Canada and bought a new one after he moves. I don't know if bringing a car from the US to Canada is as difficult, but for some reason, I wouldn't doubt it.

Also, while car shopping, I was browsing around some Volkswagen forums and saw a post of a guy trying to do the same thing you are, and the VW dealer refused since when they sell the car, they need to title it to a US address. You may have better luck if you have a family member or friend living in the US whose address you could borrow for a bit.

5. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

I'll lease you my home address for 2000. We have no state inspections either.