Buying a video camera, need help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by candygirrl, Jun 3, 2008.

1. candygirrl macrumors newbie

Hey there,

I'm from Europe but I'm travelling to Florida tomorrow and I'm going to use the chance and buy a decent video camera. The only problem is that I don't know anything about what's the best product on the market right now. I'll be using the camera to record familiy videos, party videos and that kind of stuff and also short movies but nothing too pro or fancy.

So what I'm looking for is something that's not very very expensive but will still a decent video camera that's going to last for a while.

Any advice will be appreciated, which is the best brand right now and etc.

Thanks so much! :)

2. -DH macrumors 65816

It may be hard to find a PAL camera in an NTSC/ATSC country. Where are you planning to buy? Do they sell PAL video gear?

-DH

3. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

Buy locally and get a Canon HV30.

For possibly the most feature packed and spec'd camera in it's price range, you cannot go wrong, not to mention brilliant mac compatibility.

then visit www.hv20.com to learn how to use it :)

4. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

I would second the canon, though im getting the sony tgr as i will use it more because of the portavility, but the canon is the best in its class.

5. candygirrl thread starter macrumors newbie

I've got a Canon digital camera from USA and I can switch between PAL and NTSC. Is that not possible on the video cameras? And also, does it matter if I have a NTSC camera if I'm not going to use it with the tv? I'm only going to connect it to my MBP.

I'm not buying locally, no way. Add $1000 to the price in the US and then you have my local price.