Buying a Wacom tablet for my Mac - Difference between "Craft" and "Pen and Touch"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Doju, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

Hi, I'm looking to buy a graphics tablet and I want to choose between the Craft and the Pen and touch.

Craft: http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/bamboo_craft.php
    Pen and Touch: http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/bamboo_pen_touch.php

They both have the same levels of pressure, same resolution and the same size active area.

Is the only difference software and some training programs? I use Adobe Illustrator so I don't exactly need to pay extra for software if that's all I'm getting (plus a silver look).

2. cjhunter macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure the only difference is the software bundle.

That said, I played with these a little bit, and I went for the "Fun" model. The smaller tablet just felt limited in what i could do with it. It was sort of like having a pen on your trackpad, whereas the "fun" is closer to having a small screen-size tablet. For me, it was worth the $.

3. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

good to see the response and see what others will say. Though I think I might be looking at an Intuous line.

4. waynechriss macrumors regular

If you see the "whats inside" part of the Craft you see it includes:

This was the same case with the Wacom Bamboo and Wacom Bamboo Fun as the latter came with software but costed more (I have a Bamboo, just pad, pen and installation disc).

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Is anybody using these just as a trackpad replacement?

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

How do you like it? I have an Intuos 4 medium size which I never used. I'll be selling it and replacing it with the Wacom Bamboo - either Craft or Fun. All I need is really to replace my MBP trackpad as MBP is on a stand. I'm presuming that the Craft model will suffice. Am I right? I know you chose the larger model, so I would be interested in your opinion. Thanks!

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have the Touch (the one without the pen at all)… it really sucks.

It's difficult to use because clicking requires a lot of hand movement (or your other hand); tap to click is difficult to use and the sensitivity is more or less poor. Its also only 2 fingers, so no 3 finger gestures and such and you can't use the whole surface, just a designated rectangle.

8. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I ordered the Bamboo Craft model. I've read some relatively decent reviews, so I'm crossing my fingers.... If that doesn't work as a trackpad replacement, I'll get either the Magic Mouse or a Logitech Performance MX mouse.

9. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

The difference between the two is that the Craft has a smaller active area, and is smaller as a whole... otherwise, they are the same.

[LINK]

Attached Files:

10. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Yes, you're right. I actually ended up ordering it and I tried to use it instead of mouse, but it wasn't working too well. So I'm back to the Magic Mouse.

11. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Hmmm. Good to know. My grandmother used to have a keyboard with a built in trackpad on her Windows PC years ago. Since she switched to Mac about 5 years ago, she hasn't been able to find a keyboard like this for Macs. I was going to suggest the Craft due to it's size and price... but I guess I will have to think of another suggestion for her. ><

I personally am buying an Intuos4 Medium this weekend! :D

12. chris7777 macrumors 6502

Do the intuos 4's have the plug in usb cords?

My intuos 3 had my plug go bad And I had to switch back to my graphire.

I had though about trying surgery, but I may just look in to getting a 4 because the design was what I have been wanting anyway.

13. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Funny. I just sold mine last week. :)

I hope you put yours to a good use. Mine was just lying around. They are beautiful tablets otherwise though.

14. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Yes they do. They have the standard mini-USB port on them.

15. chris7777 macrumors 6502

I wonder if I could Frankenstein my intuos with a new usb plug .

I would have to cut mine though as its integrated.

16. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Well, since yours went bad anyways, what have you got to lose? It would certainly be cheaper to try than buying a new tablet.

17. maddan macrumors regular

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

19. maddan macrumors regular

That's true... it can be a pain sometimes.

20. chris7777 macrumors 6502

I would still like to try it, with one of those capacitive styluses. IT would be nice if it could work in a pinch. I really wish someone like apple would cut a deal with wacom and make something like that, heck I want a laptop with an external keyboard and a tablet in its place to be honest.