Buying abroad

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by F1 Fan, Jun 6, 2015.

1. F1 Fan macrumors regular

F1 Fan

I live in the UK but will be in New York in a few weeks time. Looks like I could save about £80 on a 42mm Sport Watch by buying one there (minus whatever I pay for converting my money).

Does anyone know whether I'd be able to get help with any problems once I'm back in the UK? Presumably I'd need to get a replacement plug too.

Anyone done something like this before?

2. Repelle macrumors regular

I do this frequently - In fact all my Apple products have come from the US as I often travel back and forth. It's a good way to avoid ripoff Britain.

I believe Apple has international warranty. I have had no trouble getting a US-bought iPad exchanged under warranty in the UK.

Any Apple UK USB charger will work with the inductive charging cable just fine.

3. riverfreak macrumors 6502a

Don't you have to declare you purchase and pay VAT coming home?

4. Colonel Badger macrumors 6502

Hey McLaren Fan

As an Englishman living in the U.S. ( and still following F1 ) my family visit often, and have in the past bought Apple products to take home. I've also bought Apple products as gifts. The warranty works fine, the main issue as you said is the plug difference but that's pretty easy to solve, with the way Apple breaks up the cable and plug. Just swap out the plug at home. I would recommend wearing the watch back home so customs has no clue it was bought here.

P.S. Can't wait for that Honda engine to be running as well as the car looks.

5. bushido Suspended

bushido

u can always try to snwak it in bit if they bust u thats gonna get pricy

6. riverfreak macrumors 6502a

Gotcha. That VAT is a killer!

7. Repelle macrumors regular

Yes you do technically. Although there is a personal allowance of around £300 tax free. I think however, if the item value is over the personal allowance amount, then you are charged VAT at 20% on the entire amount.

HMRC seem to have a permanent, intimidating presence at Heathrow now who are very eager to do spot checks.

8. F1 Fan thread starter macrumors regular

F1 Fan

Thanks everyone. That's really helpful.

I did some research into the VAT rules and found that the personal allowance is £390 so a sports watch is ok. Repelle, you're right about VAT becoming payable on the full value for an item which is over the limit. Reference: https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/arrivals-from-outside-the-eu

Tell me about it! I'm going to Silverstone for the fifth time in a few weeks. Looks like I'll still have to wait for a Button/McLaren win...

9. ThaRagingAsian macrumors 6502

ThaRagingAsian

This might be the wrong forum if you want to buy one of those.

10. Repelle macrumors regular

Glad to be of help. It's always good to be clued up before the event.