buying advice #112452

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pscl, Dec 29, 2013.

1. pscl macrumors 6502

hey guys

im about so sell my 2011 27" imac standard config for 700€.

im planning to get the current 27" model with the maxed out CPU, the 4GB GPU and 16GB of RAM.

The only thing im not sure of is wich HDD!?

i love the SSD in my macbook pro but +900€ for an 1 TB SSD? that seems really overpriced.

i want to use the imac for gaming under win 8.1 so i need little more space.

is the FusionDrive as nice as it seems? I have read that the bootcamp partition will be created on the non-SSD Part of the FusionDrive. That would be ok for me.

can you all recommend the FD or should i wait and save some additional money on the 1TB SSD? (thought the 1 TB SSD is not PCIe-Based? right?)

greets

2. ender78 macrumors 6502

I'd recommend a combination of the two. 512ssd PCI-e and then 512 or 1tb in a usb or thunderbolt enclosure. The internal ssd from apple is PCI-e

3. pscl thread starter macrumors 6502

i have a 6TB nas, so additional external storage is not a problem.. but im feeling bad with 200GB owned by win 8.1 and only 212 for my main system OSX

4. Bear macrumors G3

If you're okay with Windows being on the HD portion, the Fusion drive for most people is more than enough.

Any Apple SSD internal to the 2013 iMac is PCIe based. This is partially why the 1TB price is so high.