Buying Advice: 13" Haswell rMBP or Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jsklein75, Oct 23, 2013.

1. jsklein75 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am debating a new 13" rMBP (2.4 GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 256 GB HD) versus a 13" Air (1.7 GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 256 GB HD).

I am using it for standard Mac productivity programs, MS Office for Mac and will also use VM Fusion with a handful of Windows 7 programs including Quicken, QuickBooks, Vision, Project and Access.

I like the Air because of the portability, size and weight. Alternatively, I like the 13" rMBP because of the ability to go to 16GB of RAM (although I am not sure if the 16GB of RAM is overkill). Perhaps I should think otherwise, but I am not sure that the retina display is that important to me.

Any feedback in making this decision is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    Joe

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I think everyone here is going to recommend you to get the rMBP for obvious reasons. The price isn't much different, and the 13-inch rMBP is every bit as portable as the Air. And then factor in how much better the Pro actually is.

3. leman macrumors 604

Both are excellent machines. The Air wins on battery. My advice: get the one which is cheaper ;)

4. hummel003 macrumors newbie

as for now i would go for retina, no doubt. Battery of 9 hours, only 200 gr heavier than the air (thats nothing), so for portability u shouldnt choose the air.

the ONLY reason u should go for an air right now is the 12 hour battery life. If u really need the extra 3 hours over the pro.
    price is almost identical. Spec wise the pro is much better. I also like the formfactor of the pro better.
    and the SCREEN? man that blows the air away once uve seen both
    maybe if the air gets retina next year its another discussion, but for now u have to go for retina

5. jsklein75 thread starter macrumors newbie

8 or 16GB on the rMBP?

Thank you all for you feedback. Sounds like the rMBP is a pretty solid choice over the air.

Do you think that I should get 16GB for Fusion running Windows? I don't mind ponying up the extra cash, but I also don't want to throw money out the window if it isn't needed.

Thanks again! Great feedback and it is helping me finalize my decision!

Regards,
    Joe

6. hummel003 macrumors newbie

i think for most ppl 8gb ram is more then enough, but it wouldnt hurt to get the 16. i also am going for the 16. whats another 200 dollar :p

7. Flowiee macrumors member

Also choosing between:

Air: 1.7/8/256
    rMBP: 2.6/8/256 +€50

The main difference is 1.7 i7 vs 2.6 i5. Which one will be better for Autodesk Inventor, casual Imovie, daily much internet and schoolstuff (pages,keynote,numbers)?

Also battery life is 9 vs 12 on light use. the 12 hours is nice, but my laptop now only get me like 2 hours and is connected to the power all the time.

Thanks for the advice!

8. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/compare/137717?baseline=137713

The 1.7 i7 actually benchmarks faster than the 2.6 i5 for single-core tasks. The 2.6 i5 is faster for multi-core tasks.

Are you sure the model you are looking at has the 2.6? The 2.4 is the default processor for the mid-range 13" with 8/256. The MBA with i7 looks even better when comparing to it: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/compare/137601?baseline=137713

If I were you, I'd go play with them both at the nearest Apple Store and buy the one you like better from using them. Performance wise, they are pretty close (though the rMBP graphics will be a little faster).

9. Flowiee, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

Flowiee macrumors member

Thanks! yeah im sure. Think that €90 for the 2.6 upgrade is good. also more cache.

So the i7 Air is faster with Single core tasks, and the i5 Pro with Multicore tasks. But can someone give examples for single- and multicore tasks?