Buying advice 17" MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by simonpotts, Sep 25, 2009.

1. simonpotts macrumors newbie

I am looking at getting a 17" MBP in the coming week and am weighing up my options regarding refurb v new and would like some input as I don't have much experience with these machines.

Please note all prices are Aussie dollars.

I am eligible for the educational discount so I can get a new one for $3699 however apple have refubs in their online store for $3399. Is there a big difference in quality between the 2? I don't want to dump over 3 grand and get a machine with scratches and dents all over it.

Also regarding refubs they have the previous gen (early 09) unibodys for just $2899). they have a smaller HDD and a 2.66Ghz as opposed to 2.8Ghz processor but other than that they are pretty much the same from what I can tell. These represent a saving of $800 from a new current gen MPB with the ed discount.

Would the difference in processor be noticeable?

I will be using it for day to day usage, web browsing, software development, and home video and music production and editing and will also be using Fusion as some of my apps are windows only.

If the quality of the refubs is good, would the cheaper one be suitable for my needs? I want this machine to last me 3 years or so, and I know they are expensive bits of kit, but I dont see the point in paying $3699 for a new one if a $2899 refub does just as good of a job.

Thanks for your help in advance

Simon

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I don't think there is any differences between the early 09 17" MBP and the mid 09 17" MBP maybe except for the spec boost and I think the 60% more color gamut screen. Save money and get the refurb.

3. simonpotts thread starter macrumors newbie

So the quality of the refurbs are ok? Even given the discount over the new one it is still a hefty sum of cash.

Have read good things about the refurbs in general, however was wondering if anyone had any particular experience with the Australian refurb store?