Buying advice 30" Apple Cinema Display

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Lastic, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Lastic macrumors 6502a

I can possibly buy one , an 1 hour drive from my home for 350 EUR.

It would replace my 27" Thunderbolt Display (which is still used for the MBp) and the currently 2 x 20" Cinema Displays hooked up to my PowerMac G5.

Anybody has any experience with it ? Is it worth it ? for this price ?

2. abundantmussel macrumors regular

abundantmussel

Price seems ok. I had one from 2010 until a few weeks ago when it died. Loved it but went with a 4K monitor this time around.

3. hwojtek, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

hwojtek macrumors 65816

hwojtek

Rocking price, they do not sell for less than 800 Eur in here. Still an amazing screen. Make sure the 90W correction, 150W ACD power supply is included, as they often are not (and you'd need to hunt it down on eBay) or are replaced with a non-original power supply.

4. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Be sure you can fire it up and check for panel damage. It's a BIG panel, and you don't want to stare at a scratch or pressure mark-something all too common if they've been mishandled. These are getting on in years, and they do use fluorescent back lighting that has a finite life. This type of display-in general-is susceptible to color drift and I've seen 30" displays with uneven illumination or off color edges.

Aside from that, they are a great display.

Just a few other points, though:

These do have more pixels than the 27" TB display, but the pixel density is lower. If you compare them side by side, things will look larger although you still have more working room. The pixel density is the same as the old aluminum 20 and 23" displays, which is what I'm guessing you have on your G5.

If you want to use it with your G5, you MUST use a dual link DVI port. All G5s made after 30" was introduced shipped with a card with at least one DL-DVI port. If you don't have one, though, you'll need to upgrade your video card. You'll need a dual DVI Radeon 9600 Pro PC&Mac at a minimum, although I'd suggest moving up to a better card if you are upgrading.

On your MBP, you need the mini-DP to DL-DVI adapter. These run about $100 new from Apple, although you can sometimes find used ones less expensively. The regular $30(or less if you go generic) mini-DP to DVI will not give you full resolution.

5. benwild_33 macrumors regular

They're great displays, my one was a bargain at £155 then. It's actually a 150w power brick on the 30" model. Make sure you see it powered up before you buy it. The only thing they do seem to suffer with is image burn in but it is temporary. I just got a 23" version as a second monitor, I love the way they all have the same ppi so you can use them together without scaling anything.

6. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

I'd say go for it. I'm using one right now. The color drift is a real problem, but it usually presents itself on its smaller 23" sibling. The power brick is something you have to watch out for--but if you do not have one included a 20V 150W power adaptor from something like a Dell All-in-one can be grafted onto the end. Great display--it has held up well for the years!

7. Lastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everybody for your input.

I picked up a Kanex CDL240 DVI to mini DP convertor years ago so that should cover my MBp, as for the G5
    it got a dual DVI Nvidia and I still have a Radeon 9600 Dual DVI also so that should be covered also.

But the poor PB G4 12" won't work ? I can keep a 20" Cinema Display for it but would rather prefer to use the 30" screen
    on it also.

Audio, I'm guessing USB something ? Any preferences ? It's the only good thing about the 27" TB display , it got internal speakers.
    The G5 , how would it passthrough audio to the 30" display ?

8. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

The Cinema Displays don't have in-built audio, in a studio setting you'd be using a proper audio output anyway. Invest in a proper amp and some bookshelf speakers, even a Micro-hifi if you must.

9. raymanster macrumors 6502

raymanster

I bought one last year and the USB hub/pass through doesn't work, it didn't really bother me as I have enough ports on my Mac.

Apparently quite a common problem, perhaps a bargaining point if the one you want has this issue.

10. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I think only some models of 15 and 17" PowerBook had DL ports-I forget when it started but for some reason the early 2005 and late 2005 models are the ones that stick in my head. You may be able to go back a bit earlier to get DL-DVI, but not too far back.

Unfortunately you're out of luck on the 12" PB. I find the Geforce Go5200 to be rather strained even running a 1920x1200 display. You COULD run the 30" off of your 12", but it wouldn't be at native resolution.

11. Lastic, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017

Lastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

So after an early Sunday Morning drive, I brought home the 30" Display.
    Tested it at the seller's place, it's immaculate , no dead pixel , brightness looks good, no ghosting so far and the 150W original power supply,screen looks like new.

But then , the new G5 has an nVidia Geforce 6600 and it has a Single-Link and a Dual-Link DVI output.

Man do I have a lot of workspace :)

MBp Retina via mini Display-port to DVI only runs at 1280x800 so does the PB G4 12" and the Lenovo Thinkpad X220.
    The Kanex CDL-274 only works in the reverse direction , DVI output to a mini DP screen.

Pictured Alien Covenant in 1080p mkv playing on OS X 10.5.8 in VLC also tested on full screen running smoothly.

30inch in the dark.JPG

I will keep one 20" Cinema Display for the PB G4 and sell the other with the older G5.

30inch in the light.JPG

The days of the 27" Thunderbolt Display on the desk not pictured and the MBp Retina used with it are counting down.

12. Lastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Since I'm on the verge of moving everything to a standing desk, I'm looking for suggestions for a monitor arm to use with the VESA mount which can hold the 30" heavy Cinema Display .

Anybody ?

13. Amethyst1 macrumors 6502

Amethyst1

<sarcasm> I wonder if the new "Pro Stand" can be made compatible with the 30" ACD as well? </sarcasm>