Buying advice - Apple TV1 or 2

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by AndrewHancox, Oct 25, 2011.

1. AndrewHancox macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm trying to decide if I should get an apple tv 1 or 2.
    If I get the 1st gen version I'm assuming I can simply sync the device with itunes on my macbook and I'll have access to my entire library regardless of whether the computer is on or off. Is this correct? Could I also pair it to my macbook air to play any content I've got stored there?
    Would youtube/airplay/airtunes work on apple tv v1?
    Is the user interface simpler on 1st gen or 2nd? - I'm hoping my 6yr old will be able to use this.
    Thanks

----------

Also, is the 1st gen likely to be supported by itunes for the foreseeable future?

2. Ralphalph macrumors member

Ralphalph

Yes, content syncs and can also stream to ATV1 from a Mac. No need for the Mac to be on to play content that is on ATV1. You pair with one library, but can stream content from multiple computers.

ATV1 does not support airplay, netflix, iCloud, and other newer features. The interface is pretty much the same as of right now, but keep in mind ATV1 will not be getting any updates going forward.

Power usage of the ATV1 is heavier, but still pretty lightweight. I doubt they would remove the functionality that is already there, as it is an ongoing stream of revenue and would cause consumer backlash.