Buying Advice - Audio system

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sam Luis Obispo, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Sam Luis Obispo macrumors member

Have new Macbook (Wow, what an improvement over the iBook!) and a LCD HDTV. Starting to do research for appropriate sound system.

Are there any Mac specific issues that should be considered when selecting an audio system?

2. Tosser macrumors 68030

It kind of depends what you want in an "audio system", what you even consider an "audio system", how much money you're willing to spend, but also what you will be using it for. For instance, a song made for a stereo set-up will be ruined if played through 5.1 speaker set up.

Anyway, what do you want from your set-up?

3. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

What is your price range?

You gotta give us more information...

4. Sam Luis Obispo thread starter macrumors member

The current system I have was put together in the previous millennium. The Sony receiver is 25 years old... I'm at the point of trying to figure out which questions I should be asking. The first question that comes to mind is are there any mac specific issues that I could use to narrow the field.

Is there a system that plays music well AND does 5.1 reasonably well?

As far as money goes, I'm looking for a system similar to the MacBook (a decent system that has very good value).

5. Tosser macrumors 68030

It STILL depends on what you want to get out of the system, what it will be used for, and what you like.

Of course there is, you have to be able to make it into a stereo setup (i.e. 2 speakers) or 2.1 (two speakers and one sub). However, you have to realise that the more speakers, the lesser quality each part will be for the same overall price.
    And we STILL haven't figured out, which one you like the better. Or even if you like using headphones (as in "cans") when listening to music (that way you can simply go all-5.1, with no regards to anything else.

Still quite a loose ball park figure. What are we talking here? How good do you want it? One could argue that if bought at much lower than retail, even a 4000 dollar (or double that) is a "decent" system. It really does depend on your demands and, of course, your wallet.
    Anyway, if you're looking to buy something for under, say, 400, I'd certainly not even go 2.1, but use that money for two speakers only – active, preferably (you won't need an amplifier as a go-between.

6. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

I have always liked vintage systems more than the cheap stuff you can buy these days. If you do want a modern system go with a good brand like Harmon Kardon or Denon. They will be well worth the extra money.