Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dibara2003

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
Hawaii!
Hoping to get some advice on whether this open box MBP is a good deal:

MV902LL/A - 15” 2019 i7/16gb/256gb
No original box or charger, but the computer doesn’t have any scratches or blemishes

Pulled DriveDX with the following stats
Power on time - 284 hours
Power cycle count - 74
Data units read - 46.2TB
Data units written - 9.3TB
Battery cycles - 8

It’s selling for $1565

Doesn’t seem like a buyers remorse return, but it also doesn’t seem like a demo. I’m not familiar with the data units part either So I’d like to get thoughts on this unit.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Hoping to get some advice on whether this open box MBP is a good deal:

MV902LL/A - 15” 2019 i7/16gb/256gb
No original box or charger, but the computer doesn’t have any scratches or blemishes

Pulled DriveDX with the following stats
Power on time - 284 hours
Power cycle count - 74
Data units read - 46.2TB
Data units written - 9.3TB
Battery cycles - 8

It’s selling for $1365

Doesn’t seem like a buyers remorse return, but it also doesn’t seem like a demo. I’m not familiar with the data units part either So I’d like to get thoughts on this unit.

Thank you!
It's definitely a demo unit. That not necessarily a bad thing. The Data Unit read means how much data has been accessed from the SSD and data units written shows how much has been written to the SSD. It's been through a lot. Y'all can learn more about SMART drives here.

Reactions: dibara2003

dibara2003

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
Hawaii!
It's definitely a demo unit. That not necessarily a bad thing. The Data Unit read means how much data has been accessed from the SSD and data units written shows how much has been written to the SSD. It's been through a lot. Y'all can learn more about SMART drives here.
Appreciate everyone's replies and your link!

Does that number look "scary"?

I'm torn because it seems like a fantastic deal, but I've never gone the open box path like this before.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Appreciate everyone's replies and your link!

Does that number look "scary"?

I'm torn because it seems like a fantastic deal, but I've never gone the open box path like this before.
I'd say it's a year's worth of average use (3 months worth for a power user), nothing to worry about really. You can always replace the SSD with something new/larger down the line. Judging from the power on time and power cycling, it could mean those Geek Squad guys wiped and restored the system several times.
As 4sallypat suggested, get AppleCare and R-E-L-A-X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.