Buying advice complete setup

Discussion in 'iMac' started by grandM, Mar 9, 2014.

1. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

After having read about a hundred posts about reading issues on the dell u2713h (which I own) and a mac mini 2012, I'm thinking I'll just buy the imac 27''. Some say the mini 2012/dell 72713h is a problem, others say it isn't :(

I intend to use the device for the following tasks:
    1 web browsing
    2 listening to audio streams
    3 downloading movies
    4 watching those blueray quality movies
    5 chatting over skype
    6 playing low end games
    7 programming in Xcode (ios oriented)
    8 word processing
    9 spreadsheet
    10 making websites under drupal
    11 trying out database aimed at the Xcode programming

At the moment I'm considering following setup:
    iMac 27'', i5 or i7, 256 GB ssd or 1TB fusion drive
    I'll also plug in 16 GB ram extra. I already have a 4TB 7200 LaCie which I hope to connect through usb 3.0.

I'd like to know your recommendations. I intend to place the order this week.

2. MD211 macrumors newbie

IMHO any current iMac can handle your demand.
    What issues are you having with the Dell flatscreen?
    I have the same and use it for my windows gaming rig. It works perfect and I would even argue the picture holds up to the display on the iMac. I love the fact that it is a matte screen which helps enormously to reduce reflections.

3. grandM thread starter macrumors 6502a

grandM

I intented to buy a mac mini. But some threads indicated that the mini doesn't cooperate good with the dell u2713h.

4. MD211, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014

MD211 macrumors newbie

I see.
    Have you considered a MacBook and your monitor?

5. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I was researching IPS monitors and ran into stuff about this monitor having trouble with macs, including iMacs, due to the fact that the monitor used RGB and the DP was putting out YCbCr. Not sure if it applies, but people edited the EDID; see here: http://embdev.net/topic/284710

rob

6. grandM thread starter macrumors 6502a

grandM

Problem is that I'm not sure a macBook won't have the same problem. I don't have any mac devices yet. I would have bought the mini but after having read those problems... A build out iMac will cost me a lot more though :( What is connected to your u2713h?

----------

I don't have any mac devices yet. I would have bought the mini but after having read those problems... It seems risky buying the mini with my screen. A build out iMac will cost me a lot more though :(

7. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Nothing on that list sounds very demanding. My 2007 iMac that wasn't quite the top of the line when I bought it can probably handle everything on your list with the possible exception of playing Bluray quality videos... I don't generally pay attention to the quality of the videos I watch, and when I do I normally opt for 720p, which I think is DVD quality.

Things that are more taxing are things like video editing, modern games (my 2007 handles Portal 2 like a champ, but its engine, Source, is a decade old now if I'm not mistaken), and running VMs.