Buying advice for a friend

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by indefatigable, Oct 22, 2008.

1. indefatigable macrumors member

I have an older friend (in his 60s) who has been running a PC through dial-up. Apparently without any sort of virus/malware/spyware programs. Had I known this I would have rectified the situation, but it's too late now. He says he "got a virus" and now the PC won't turn on.

The good news is that he's now he's accepting that he should get a mac. But he's cheap. He saw a used 13" macbook still under warranty in the classifieds for $990. If it's all up-and-up, it would be easy to wipe and reinstall. However, I'm thousands of miles away, and I don't feel comfortable letting him do this on his own. I'm already going to have to figure out how to boot up the PC in safe mode and try and retrieve his files since it's been nearly a decade since I've had to troubleshoot a PC.

Long story short, I'm trying to convince him that he should go with a refurb 20" iMac for $1,000. And if he doesn't spring for Apple Care, I'm totally buying it for him for x-mas.

Any thoughts or experiences with refurb'd macs? Or used macs?

Thanks guys...

2. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Refurb macs are the busniess.

They each get checked out to make sure everything is up to snuff.

Infact, i would go as far to say that they go thru more testing and quality control than the retail ones do.

They have apple care, and are 100-500 cheaper than the exact same computer thats selling for retail.

I always buy refurb. Not one problem with any of them.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

True that (although, they come with a one year warranty, not a 3-year AppleCare warranty).

A refurb Mac gets you the following:

# It performs and looks like new
    # You get the same one-year warranty as new
    # The computer carries the same eligibility for Apple Care as new
    # It is fully tested (including full burn-in testing)
    # It is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing
    # It is thoroughly cleaned and inspected
    # It is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.) - nothing is missing
    # It includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system
    # It is placed into a final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock

4. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

get a refirb either imac or mb you get a 1 year warranty. a virus will not cause a computer not to turn on. not boot yes. but not turn on no.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I agree with all of the above posts; refurb Macs offer a great way to go for all of the reasons which both techound1 and canthinkofone have set out. Great value, individual computer and the actual model both tried and tested, and comes with Apple's warranty.
    Cheers

6. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

do the refurb. i used to work at apple, for 2+ years. even the brand new machines that people would take home from the store, would be defective once in a while. the refurbs have "already" been sent back and fixed and tested, inspected to perfection. a refurb is a great deal. great choice with the imac too, for most it is a great machine. he'll love it. just do it, brother.

7. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

If he really wants the laptop tell him he can have a new one with 12 month warranty for $9 more.