Buying Advice for a MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jknopp, Oct 7, 2015.

1. jknopp macrumors newbie

Hey there, I'm in the market for a new MacBook pro. I'm giving my 2012 2.3 GHz MBP (non-retina) to my mother, and will be replacing it with another 15" model. I honestly don't need all the processing power of a quad-core processor, but I can't be without the screen real estate.
    My current configuration is a 2.3 GHz Macbook Pro with 16 GB RAM, and a 512 GB SSD. I know that I will not be able to downgrade to the 256 GB SSD offered in the entry-level MBPr, so I will either have to customize it to 512 GB (costing $2300). But, if I'm already paying $2300 on a new machine, why not just buy the 2.5 GHz model for $200 more? For the extra $200, you get a little more processing power, dedicated graphics and the included 512GB SSD.

Also, another question. If I went with the 2.2 GHz model, is it possible to get a third party 512GB SSD with the same standards as apple offers?

Thanks!!

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

To give advice we need to know how you use your MBP. What kind of software do you run? What kind of activities?

The retina MBP has Apple proprietary PCIe connectors. There is no 3rd party companies making and selling flash storage. The only way to get new flash storage is to buy used ones pulled from other Macs. That route is more expensive than buying what you need during the initial purchase. Not to mention the used flash storage pulled from other Macs would not have a warranty.

3. jknopp thread starter macrumors newbie

I mainly use it for school, and some other work aside. This includes word processing (pretty much all of Microsoft Office/iWork suite), programming, using apps like photoshop/final cut occasionally. I usually have Parallels running Windows 7 as well. My current computer is usually connected to an HDTV as a secondary display; thing is I'm worried that a lack of discrete graphics in a new machine would cause any lag in feedback between the computer and TV monitor. My current MBP has a dedicated graphics card. To be honest, I could pass with getting a 13" MBPr, but I really enjoy the screen size of the 15". Then again, I can always go to another site like MacMall and get it at a better price...

4. austinpike macrumors 6502