Buying Advice for a New MB/MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by india349, Oct 9, 2008.

  1. india349 macrumors member


    Oct 19, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN, USA
    First off, I bet this conundrum has been written about many times before...

    I first joined this site in 2006, bought the first-gen MacBook, which ended up exhibiting some hardware problems, so I sold it on the cheap, and bought a refurb of the same generation, the MacBook I currently own outlined in my signature.

    And I love it. It's great. I'm a student and love the size. Primarily, I'm just doing schoolwork with it. I have Boot Camp with XP on it and I just wrote a post a few days ago about how well Spore runs on the OS X side. Given that it's a GMA 950, I should be thankful that it even runs at all!

    But lately, I can't help but want more. All this talk of the new aluminum MacBooks has got me itching to replace/complement my MB for something that doesn't have integrated graphics, for a 64-bit machine, etc.

    I have the money for a new MB or even a MBP, I'm just not sure if it's a good idea. Basically, this story ends up with a need vs want scenario, and I guess I'm just looking for advice on what one would do in my shoes...

    edit: Forgot to mention that my current MB has AppleCare until 12/2010
    edit: fixed a typo

  2. nope7308 macrumors 65816


    Oct 6, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I think we both know what the responsible answer is. My guess is that you posted this question so you could somehow try to justify this purchase to yourself, knowing full well that it is an entirely unreasonable decision. I'm not judging (I've done the same), but it needed to be said.

    To help put things in perspective, consider the following:
    1) You have no idea what the new laptops will actually be like, so this 'desire' is entirely fabricated (Apple is quite good at this).
    2) You say that you're fully satisfied with your current computer, so there really is no need for a new one.
    3) Given your apple care coverage, you're guaranteed a functioning computer until 2010
    4) If you sell your computer now, you will most definitely be losing money (especially given your apple care).
    5) As your own experience suggests, buying a first gen. computer usually comes with a host of hardware conflicts. As a general practice, it's always good to get the second gen. so they have a chance to work out all the kinks, so to speak.

    Now, take a deep breath, look into the mirror, and tell yourself that you can attain happiness without the latest consumer electronics. If you can't, then go buy the damn computer, but don't feel sorry for yourself when the magic of it all wears off. :D

    That sounded really mean, but I'm still bitter at myself for buying into similar indulgences haha
  3. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

    Aug 27, 2008
    i would wait you have a working mac right now. wait till this time next year then buy one it should be revision 2 by then and you will get an even better machine. and ebay your old one it will sell because it would have about a month apple warranty left.
  4. india349 thread starter macrumors member


    Oct 19, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN, USA
    Thanks, nope7308. Sometimes it takes someone figuratively slapping you in the face to get you to see the light. I think I will hold off on buying anything new until at least my AppleCare runs out? (or close to it)
  5. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816


    Oct 8, 2008
    Wait for Mac World

    Better Yet, wait until Mac World when some say they will introduce the macbook touch, especially if you have applecare for now. Think of what a pain it is to sell the computer, too..... Just not worth it.

Share This Page