Buying advice for a student

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by acraig426, Mar 9, 2009.

  1. acraig426 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    #1
    I've been saving my money and planning on buying a MacBook this coming summer. I have been looking at the 2.4GHz version with 4GB of memory and a 320GB hard drive, but recently I'm starting to reconsider. Should I just get the basic 2.0GHz version with no upgrades and save about $500? I'll just be using the computer for basic things - writing papers, listening to music, watching movies, etc., though I might also do some video editing with Final Cut Pro, and I'll probably play The Sims 3 when it comes out.

    Is it worth it for me to get the top-of-the-line version? Part of me wants to get the best possible version so that I won't run out of hard drive space and I won't have to replace the computer anytime soon, but it is a pretty pricey step up. What do you guys think?

    Also, I know that I should try to wait until Snow Leopard comes out, which should be around June or July, right? When this comes out, will they pre-load it onto all of the computers so that I can buy it with that already on there? Also, are people expecting updates of the MacBooks themselves to coincide with the Snow Leopard release? Ideally, I want to buy my MacBook at a time when I can get the free iPod promotion, but I don't mind waiting until the end of summer if it means that I'll have the latest version.
     
  2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2004
    Location:
    Knoxville, TN (USA)
    #2
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

    Something to consider. The MacBook won't run FCP. You have to have dedicated graphics memory in order to run it.
     
  3. LFC.SL macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #3
  4. The Samurai macrumors 68000

    The Samurai

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2007
    Location:
    Glasgow
    #4
    It all depends on what you want the machine for. If your going to be doing intensive graphic/video work - I would go with the high end Macbook or the MBP. If not, I wouldn't even look at them.

    If I were in your situation, I would wait till summer as Apple have the free iPod Nano offer on at that point for students who purchase Apple computers. I would personally go for the 2.0 and then if need be - you can always get more storage at a later point.

    No official date has been set for Snow Leopard ;), however say if you end up buying your machine in July and theres no sign of Snow Leopard... then in August, Apple release the new OS... they usually provide free updates for those customers who purchased a Mac in the last 30 days. Its a waiting game I suppose - just keep checking back on these forums for the latest round of 'rumors'.

    Happy days.
     
  5. Knolly macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2007
    #5
    Either way do NOT buy RAM or HD upgrades from Apple. You can upgrade both yourself for cheaper.

    For RAM:
    $100 for Apple
    About $65 or even less from places like Crucial.

    For HD:
    $75 from Apple
    $70 or so online.

    However, when you buy the HD online, you can either get one with an enclosure or buy I cheap enclosure seperately so you'll have an upgraded HD plus you'll also get a small portable HD.
     
  6. NewEyesOpen macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    Location:
    West Virginia
    #6
    I think this is what I'll do too. I'm a student and will definitely take advantage of the discount and could definitely resell the iPod that comes with it. I would like to wait for snow leopard, but as a lot of people have said, you can't wait forever.

    does anyone know what it would cost to upgrade your mac to snow leopard after the fact?
     
  7. MedHead macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2009
    Location:
    Cork, Ireland
    #7
    Well i just got the 2.0 and it runs nearly everything ive tried (office firefox ilife etc) without any hassle so i'd say get that and upgrade HD/RAM as needed.

    Snow Leopard will prob work out to be around the same as leopard at $129.
     
  8. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2008
    Location:
    Northeast USA
    #8
    if HD space is all you are worried about then I would just go with the 2.0

    You can always upgrade the HD and RAM later.


    you gotta remember that the price bump also gets you the backlit keyboard, something that cant be added later on.
    for most this isnt a deal breaker.
     
  9. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

    acfusion29

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2007
    Location:
    Toronto
    #9
    Don't feed him bullcrap. It will run, I'm running it on my 2.0
     

Share This Page