Buying advice for Educational customers in UK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheBigApple2006, Jun 12, 2012.

1. TheBigApple2006 macrumors regular

Just a heads-up to anyone in the market for the new laptops...You will all know that Apple offers substantial discounts to Higher education customers...in the small print it also states that the 3 year hardware warranty is standard on all laptops and desktops purchased through the Apple Store Online. This same warranty is charged at a small premium in brick and mortar Apple Stores (around 60 pounds). Given that the leading cash back sites also include around 3% cash back on Educational purchases, you are set to save quite a few pennies if you order online. In my case, I just pre-ordered a Retina MBP base model with the 16Gb RAM upgrade and it looks to come in at 1614 after cash back. Same model in Apple Store, assuming they sell it, would be 110 pounds more expensive after taking the three year warranty. So, do you maths before engaging in one of these costly purchases!

2. stephenc92 macrumors regular

stephenc92

Did you use Quidco to get the additional 3% cashback? Also, would you mind pointing out where the inclusive 3 year warranty is stated? All I can see on the education store is an option for "APPLECARE PROTECTION PLAN UPLIFT MACBOOK PRO (HE CONTRACT)" which is £60.

3. TheBigApple2006 thread starter macrumors regular

Quidco does pay out on Education purchases, it states it on the page as well. Regarding the warranty, the Uplift is what you pay at the store too. However, if you look at the terms and cons at the end of the page, for Higher Education purchases, it states that

You usually get a separate email a few weeks after purchase confirming it. It's a non-standard arrangement but it works. I have never paid the extra 40-60 pounds and have had the 3 year warranty on all the various MacBooks I purchased through the online Edu store. They force you to pay the premium for warranty in-store though.

4. biohead macrumors 6502

As said, the warranty is only available online. Not in a brick and mortar store.

Furthermore, the online warranty is just that. The warranty. You don't get the 3 years phone support like the full blown AppleCare - you would if you bought it in store and paid the extra.
    The £60 option online gives you the addition of phone support should you want it.

5. TheBigApple2006 thread starter macrumors regular

True, but the warranty is the full monty - I had several repairs on previous laptops purchased under this scheme and they all went through fine without any glitch - even had a battery replaced on a pre-unibody MBP because the Service Battery message had come up on the desktop! I see little use for the phone support when you have manifestly hardware problems and are relatively close to an Apple Repair Centre.

6. biohead macrumors 6502

Oh yeah definitely the full warranty on offer. Likewise, I had about a month left on mine and the battery started dying completely at around the 60% mark - took it in and got a brand new battery free of charge after running some tests on my old 2008 Alu macbook.