Buying Advice for MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gadawg31, Oct 28, 2011.

1. gadawg31 macrumors newbie

Just got back from the big sandbox and have a few bucks to spend. Several folks have convinced me the way to go is with a new apple laptop, so I found a couple online and need everone's expert opinion: Whick one?
    1. Apple MacBook Pro 13" 2.4GHz Intel Core i5 Dual-Core 500GB Notebook; priced at - 1,189.00
    2. Apple MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 Dual-Core 750GB Notebook; priced at - 1,489.00

Thanks,
    JD

2. Papanate macrumors regular

You didn't say what you want to use one for.

I'd buy the fastest one...with the most storage and extra ram.
    But then again I think the MacBook Air is the coolest thing out now.

3. gadawg31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Will be used by the wife mainly, who is a school teacher. No CAD work or anything elaborate, just basic computing. Thanks.

4. warvanov macrumors 6502a

Option 1 will be just fine for you. The performance improvements are minor for the $300 difference in price. I've seen other people here suggest that you're better off saving that $300 and replace the machine sooner rather than spend it now for the minor performance increase.

5. gadawg31 thread starter macrumors newbie

One thing I am not too familiar with is the OS for mac vs IBM. I have been told that the mac does not grow out of itself as early as the IDM models. How long do they traditionally last before needing to upgrade or is that a personal preference?

6. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

there are people on here still using ones from 2007 or earlier...

Personally, I went through a windows machine every two years. I expect my current machine to last at least 4, if not 5, years.