Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jespervang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
Hvidovre, Denmark
Hi all,

Our dated Linksys Router seems, to have reached it's capacity, when it comes to support the growing number of wireless devices in our home.

As of today, we have:

2-3 computers (Mac+PC)
2 iPhones
3 Samsung Phones
1 iPad
1 Samsung tablet
1-2 Playstation 3
2 Apple TV's (one with cable cable connected to router though)

Some times, it goes a little slow, and especially for the ipad (3), it can at times be hard to connect to wi-fi. But as I remember, this particular model is infamous for bad wi-fi connection, is that true ?

So, do you guys have any advice on what to buy ? Should we think Apple Aiport express / extreeme (with or without Time Capsule) or perhaps something like the Asus RT-N66U ?

Any advice is highly appreciated :)

Thanks

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Go to Smallnetbuilder site and check out a large review of routers and see the tests and conclusions offered. This might save you some time on getting what you really need/want.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Hi all,

Our dated Linksys Router seems, to have reached it's capacity, when it comes to support the growing number of wireless devices in our home.

As of today, we have:

2-3 computers (Mac+PC)
2 iPhones
3 Samsung Phones
1 iPad
1 Samsung tablet
1-2 Playstation 3
2 Apple TV's (one with cable cable connected to router though)

Some times, it goes a little slow, and especially for the ipad (3), it can at times be hard to connect to wi-fi. But as I remember, this particular model is infamous for bad wi-fi connection, is that true ?

So, do you guys have any advice on what to buy ? Should we think Apple Aiport express / extreeme (with or without Time Capsule) or perhaps something like the Asus RT-N66U ?

Any advice is highly appreciated :)

Thanks

I like the Asus AC1750 RT66U which I found on...

Go to Smallnetbuilder site and check out a large review of routers and see the tests and conclusions offered. This might save you some time on getting what you really need/want.

...smallnetbuilder. It was the top rated AC1750 router at the time. I actually paid more than I would have had to pay for the Airport Extreme but I wanted more flexibility than Airport Utility offers.

pk314

macrumors member
May 18, 2014
I just recently got the Asus RT-N66R and I'm pretty impressed with its performance so far. I recommended you give it a try.

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
After I got tired of replacing routers I bought an Airport Extreme. Then I bought a TC and wondered why I bought the Extreme as I needed the backup capability. I need a second TC for redundant backup (two households) and will buy the current generation with the AC as a future proofing measure. At $340, a refurbished 3TB TC seems like a deal.

There's also used, but the latest generation doesn't seem to show up much there and I think that's what you need. You could also consider just getting a second router.

kelub

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I'm very happy with my AirPort Extreme. :) It's setup was sooo easy!

I have a similar amount of devices as the OP and went through multiple network routers until finally biting the bullet and buying an Airport Express. Used it as my primary for about 9 months, then upgraded to the latest Airport Extreme (moved the express to the backyard shed as a wifi extender, works great).

I've yet to regret moving to the Apple network devices - range & speed are fantastic, managing upwards of 15-20 devices doesn't seem to phase it, and I like being able to check connectivity quality on devices from my phone via the Airport Utility if I seem to be experiencing slow buffering on a remote Apple TV (which, incidentally, has 100% of the time been a problem with the ATV needing a reboot, not the AEBS.)

Reactions: mudflap

jespervang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
Hvidovre, Denmark
I would like to thank each and one of you for your replies :) They are much appreciated, and I have some ideas on what to buy.

Thanks !

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
Given that you can plug any USB drive into the current Airport Extreme and use it for Time Machine backups, I can't really imagine any good argument for getting a Time Capsule — except possibly compactness.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Given that you can plug any USB drive into the current Airport Extreme and use it for Time Machine backups, I can't really imagine any good argument for getting a Time Capsule — except possibly compactness.

I would have agreed with you on the old version, but with the new versions the price delta ($100) is about the same as the cost of a 2TB drive, so the TC makes more sense.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I would like to thank each and one of you for your replies :) They are much appreciated, and I have some ideas on what to buy.

Thanks !

Pure speed then go ASUS. That being said, I use an AirPort Extreme as the central controller for a network at school which handles 100 clients. It is a 5th gen. with no issues. Threw an ASUS RT-AC66U in place of the Extreme for kicks. Took exactly 9 minutes 31 seconds to crash it under load.

That is by far above the average load for a home network! Simplicity, reliability, and support definitely is the AirPort's strong suits. While the speed is slightly less, you will never notice it unless you do huge file transfers among AC speed clients. Hope it helps!

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Same situation as you just last month. I lost my 5GHz antenna and was running only on 2.4GHz, luckily somehow it kept working. I did tons of research and it came down to two choices:

1) ASUS RT-AC68U Wireless-AC1900 Dual Band Gigabit Router IEEE 802.11ac, IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n
2) AirPort Time Capsule 2T

I've only heard great things about both of them so the choice finally came down to a little bit slower top end speed for the convenience of combining my current 2TB NAS and old linksys router into a single device: the time capsule.

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
I would have agreed with you on the old version, but with the new versions the price delta ($100) is about the same as the cost of a 2TB drive, so the TC makes more sense.

For my $100, I chose the external option because it's simple to replace down the road if the drive dies or I just want a bigger one. Also, drives get cheaper all the time so I bet a year from now I can grab a 4TB drive for that same $100.

Of course, my AEBS lives in a closet, so I don't have to look at all the ungodly wires everywhere. If it sat out on a desk, I might be more attracted to the all-in-one solution of the Time Capsule...

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I'm very happy with my AirPort Extreme. :) It's setup was sooo easy!

If you go the extreme route get it used. I got one for 120 on eBay with a free airport express. Thinking of selling it or donating it to my parents because I want a time capsule. :D

Tho in all honesty you don't really need to spend that much on a router. An 80 buck linksys works fine. Had one when I lived with 4 other guys. We each had a smart phone , computer and gaming system so 15 + girlfriends/ friends who used our wifi when they came over and never had an issue.

Airport express sucks def not powerful enough for what you need. Most over priced apple item ever

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008

I would have to agree if "time is not of consequence." I say this as the USB is only USB2 and doing fairly good size TM takes considerably longer than say TimeCapsule or a device with USB3. However one advantage is that if the router part fails, the backups are on that external drive.

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
I would have to agree if "time is not of consequence." I say this as the USB is only USB2 and doing fairly good size TM takes considerably longer than say TimeCapsule or a device with USB3. However one advantage is that if the router part fails, the backups are on that external drive.
Yeah, doesn't really matter much to me how long the backup takes. Not like it's holding me back from working or anything.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I got a refurbished time capsule from the apple store. So far it's been great.

I have several computers, xbox 360, ps3, wii and 3 apple tvs which I stream my itunes library too as well as netflix.

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
I got a refurbished time capsule from the apple store. So far it's been great.

I have several computers, xbox 360, ps3, wii and 3 apple tvs which I stream my itunes library too as well as netflix.

Is this the latest Time Capsule and how long has it been in operation?

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Is this the latest Time Capsule and how long has it been in operation?

I've had it about 8 months now. It was the latest when I got it. Decided on the 2TB. I know you can attach drives but I just wanted it all in one.

It's been great. There is a dead spot in the house but I just use my old AirPort Extreme to expand the network. I've only had to reboot it twice and that may have been my cable box not a router issue.

I found streaming was much better in the 5ghz band. I mostly use the 2.8 for iPhones.

westrock2000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
I've got 2 5th generation Extreme routers that I bought from Microcenter for $99 each. They have survived 2 summers in my Texas attic. No hiccups yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.