Buying advice iMac 27/MBA or MBP + Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PressureDrop, Apr 2, 2011.

1. PressureDrop macrumors newbie

Hello @all,

since one month i have this question all day and unfortunately i can't decide what to purchase.

I work with Ableton Live on a MBP 15" 2007 and since i have used a 27" iMac at work i'm in love with this screensize. Secondly i play WoW...sometimes for three or four hours but not longer. I've noted that the 27" iMac i3 + 8GB fit my needs for Ableton and WoW. On the other side i need portability, because i'm a software engineer and so i travel a lot. The pro of the iMac 27" i3 is: it's really silent when i play (had tested WoW between christmas holidays), i have a lot of screen space for Ableton Live and Xcode. Has someone some infos about Ableton Live on a MacBook Air??? (MBA 13" + 128GB SSD + 4GB RAM) Is it possible to play WoW on it?

The other opportunity is purchasing a MBP 15" and an Apple Cinema Display 27". Unfortunately the MBP will be very hot when gaming, especially if its connected to a Cinema Display. Is someone here, who plays WoW on an 27" Cinema Display? Do you played windowed or fullscreen? The pro of the MBP 15" is, that i have all my data in one system.

What to do? Both ways are possible for me... Opinions?

Thanks in advance,
    PressureDrop

2. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

i was in a very similar situation as you, and ended up getting the MBA and very soon i'll be getting the 27 inch imac. personally. it depends on whether you want 1 system or 2. personally, i didn't mind having 2 machines (transferring things between them every day or so), and got both of them. having just the 15 inch mbp and the cinema display limits your gaming performance, and the macbook air is a very capable product. i'd spring for the 128gb, 1.86ghz, 4gb ram mba, and wait till the imacs are refreshed in a month or so. i'll be getting the lowest end 'bigger screened' imac.
    nothing compares to 27 inches of screen real estate... ;)