Buying advice iMac, mini or mac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Daddyburns, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Daddyburns macrumors newbie

My son has now taken over my 2011 MacBook and I've come to the conclusion that I can kiss it goodbye.

I need to buy an alternative and I've always looked in awe at the 27" iMacs.

Question from me really is some advice on the alternatives. I would like a 27" display so my thinking around options would be

1. 27" iMac
    2. Mac mini with a Thunderbolt Display
    3. MacBook Air or pro with a 27" Thunderbolt Display.

My uses are -

Gaming - I've got a ps4 so not that bothered
    Movies - yes I do like to watch HD so 1080 needs to be played effortlessly
    Work - typical Microsoft office type work needs
    Photography - editing and storing photos using my DSLR. Not professional level

Watching HD video is probably the most power I'm going to utilise. I'll look to source a g-tech external storage platform so I'm looking for something which can makes use of the display, run smoothly and quickly

Any advice would be much appreciated

Many thanks

DB :)

2. Serban Suspended

wait 1 more month and we will decide FOR you what is the best option.
    Maybe a new mac mini or/and imac or/and macbook air will be release

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

If you get another MacBook or Mini, don't waste the $$$ on a Thunderbolt display. The "current" version is old and long-in-the-tooth.

There are many, many 3rd-party displays out there that offer a display "as good" for far less money. A good place to start that search is by looking here:
    http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php

The 2.3ghz i7 Mini should do what you need, and is -very- affordable if you wait until Apple-refurbished models become available. Keep an eye out here:
    http://www.refurb.me/us/

Realize that the Mini has CPU-based graphics and -is not- "a gaming machine".

A Mini will run the Office apps and do HD video playback just fine...