buying advice in ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chris7777, Oct 31, 2009.

1. chris7777 macrumors 6502

I am probably going to get an ipod touch at least for my daughter for christmas, and if I like hers enought I may get one for myself.

I do have some concerns.

I have seen numerous touch/iphone screens cracked, either still being used or for sale, is this a common problem?

I am a long time palm user and while I have heard of others having breaks, I have thus far never broken one, and I have always carried them "naked"

I also was wondering about buying used. I know the apple store sells refurbs at an ok price, but I recently ran across a 32 gig 3rd gen on craigslist for 240, I was all ready to jump on it until I saw one from target for $269. But I was leaning toward getting her a refurbished 16gig 2g from apple for $200.
    I thought I might bump it to the used for $40, but I am concerned about buying used like that for christmas, though the price is tempting.

I know I have been disgusted looking at used mac merchandise and the nearly new prices people demand for them, and am tempted to at least buy refurbished, but the 32 does sound pretty tempting, if not for my daughter, but for myself. I am mainly held back by needing a new laptop, and not being impressed with drawing on a best buy ipod and the lack of precision that it provided due to using your finger.

any suggestions are appreciated.

2. skypilot55 macrumors newbie

I bought a used 16gb (2g) iPod for $175 on Craigslist about 6 months ago and it works great. It has a cheapo silicone case on the back and skin on the face, and has been carried either in my pocket or backpack and it still looks and works perfect.

If I was shopping for another one, I would seriously consider a refurbished unit. I've never bought a refurb Apple product, but have bought several other refurb products over the years and never had a problem. Most recently I bought a refurb Garmin GPS (saving ~$100) and would defy anyone from telling the difference with a new one.

My 16gb is pretty full, and I have to manage my music and videos because it's very close to capacity. A 32gb unit would be sweet.

3. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

They have a glass screen, glass breaks when it falls. I saw my first really busted iPhone today at the Apple store - i was crying for the guy (it was his 2nd one to break - he is a truck driver supervisor, i sent him to go buy an Otterbox for the new one he was walking out with (he had 2 with him, the busted screen one, and then one with the top button broken)).

My kids are careful with mine - would i say it's as sturdy as my Treo or other palms? Probably not. The kids won't get it to use full time without it going into an Otterbox. I'm ultra worried it's going to drop and break - i don't sweat my phone.

I would buy the $200 refurb for a present. That is just me though - i'd buy used for myself, but for a gift - i want them to have no hassles with a warranty. If it was a "new" used one (like from teh back to school sale), then that would be different too.

I'm not sure what you mean by not precise drawing - what do you want to be able to draw?

4. chris7777 thread starter macrumors 6502

The other thing I am possibly concerned with on a refurb is warranty, as in Should I wait until sometime in Dec to get it, or go ahead and buy and let it sit for 2 months.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Warranty for a refurb bought from Apple is the same as for new units -- a year from purchase. If you buy a new Touch 2 months ahead of time and let it sit, you would have wasted the warranty time same as for a refurb.

6. hajime macrumors 68030

Maybe you also need to concern about the battery life of used devices.

7. chris7777 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well none of the "deals" from CL have replied to me.