Buying advice: iPad 1 or iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JimmyMac123, Apr 3, 2011.

1. JimmyMac123 macrumors newbie

I've been thinking recently of getting an iPad now that the 1st gen costs less than the 2nd gen. But I just cant decide between the ipad 1 and the ipad 2.

These are the prices for the 1st gen ipad:

16gb wifi only: 350€
    32gb wifi only: 399€

iPad 2nd gen prices:

16gb wifi only: 479€
    32gb wifi only: 579€

I'm a business student and also have an office job. I do a bit of traveling to conferences and seminars. And feel that an iPad would be a better fit for me when i'm on the go. Usually I travel with a MacBook but rarely open it up.

I would use the ipad for:

Checking email
    Writing email
    Web browsing
    Skype calling and chating
    Movies
    YouTube videos
    Reading PDFs
    Taking notes

Can you help me to decide which model I should buy? should I buy the ipad 2 or save my money and buy the ipad 1?

Thanks in advance

2. gameboy213 macrumors 6502

gameboy213

2. No regrets here on my upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. C N Reilly macrumors regular

In terms of actual performance, the only difference between the 1 and 2 is how fast it is and how much RAM it has. So the 2 will load pages and apps faster (though not "oh-my-god-how-did-i-ever-live-with-the-first-gen" faster) and the extra RAM means you're far less likely to have to wait for web pages to reload when you switch between windows in Safari.

So unless you've got the type of personality where every millisecond of speed will have you a little less likely to tear your hair out, you don't need to feel like you're missing out on a lot by going with the first-gen. Is the iPad 2 nicer? Yeah. But if €130 or so is a meaningful amount of savings for you, then buy the first-gen and you should be quite happy.

4. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I received my 1st Gen the day before the 2nd Gen went on sale, and I am very happy with my decision to save some money and get more power (32gigs).

5. shandyman Suspended

6. hoofbite, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011

hoofbite macrumors member

Get an iPad 2. But wait a bit and see if Apple fixes the backlight bleed issue.

7. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I just picked up an original iPad. No regrets here. I checked out both models in the campus bookstore, and the extra $100 simply wasn't worth it for me.

8. ani23 macrumors 6502

Whichever fits your budget.

Newer apps and games will make better use of the better processing power of the 2.

If buying now there is no doubt in my mind go for 2.

9. shandyman Suspended

i have no backlight bleed issue in normal use. if i go looking for it, ie go into a pitch black room and change it from 50% brightness to 100% brightness and look extremely closely, then there is some slight bleed in the corner. but since i'd never use 100% brightness in a pitch black room and look at it that close to my face, then its a non-issue

10. JimmyMac123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah the 130 € between the 16gb is something that could be spent somewhere else. And the difference between the 32gb models is 180€!

I have an iPod Touch 3rd gen that I bought back in 2009 and still use today. It actually has the same RAM as the iPad, i'm just wondering if it (iPad 1) will be slower than my iPod touch 3rd gen because of the size? But I haven't been too frustrated with the performance.

11. hoofbite macrumors member

Right, but some are worse than yours. I think we know this from all the images we have seen.

So if the OP got an iPad2 now there is a chance they could end up with one of the 'worse' ones.

12. shandyman Suspended

i never said there is no issue, i'm just saying not all of them are like that. it is hit and miss but the people i know have no issues either

13. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

The answer is simple, if you are tight on money buy the iPad 1 if not splurge on the iPad 2 given availability of course.

14. King Ahab macrumors newbie

I got an iPad 1 because iPad 2's weren't available and it fits my needs quite well. I'll upgrade when iPad 3 or a higher resolution iPad is introduced but for now I'm very happy with iPad 1.

15. navt macrumors newbie

No regrets

Saved myself £140 and bought a refurbed iPad1. Put some of the savings towards a 3g model. No regrets.

16. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    very happy with ipad2 :D

i really feel it snappier and enjoying the cam functionality

17. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

iPad 1 here, no regrets. Purchased the same day version 2 came out.

18. Cheetablaze macrumors member

19. joec1101 macrumors 6502

Love the iPad2, but mine does have the back light bleeding issue - waiting on a replacement from the local Apple store.

I wouldn't worry too much about the back light issue though, as Apple will give you a replacement if it has the problem.

20. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I picked up an iPad 1 for about $340 and don't have buyer remorse or feel like I should have dropped the extra cash to get the iPad 2.

21. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

If you just spend as little money as possible, a used iPad 1 is a great value. But at the price fpr the new ones I'd rather go for the iPad 2.

22. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

I picked up a 32GB first gen from Verizon for $400. I think it's a great item! I'd highly recommend the "classic" iPad as some are calling it. :D

23. Lloyd50 macrumors member

I recently picked up a 32gig 3G iPad classic for 425.00, LOVE IT.

24. PBz macrumors 65816

PBz

Torn here as well. Returned my second iPad 2 for significant light bleed and now see that at&t is selling "Classic" iPad 64GB 3G for $529. That's s heckuva deal.

25. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

Off topic, Tapatalk works with Macrumors? Been thinking about buying it but not sure what sites work with it.