Buying Advice: Mac Mini 2018 HTPC

MFDoom

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
I’m toying around with the idea of getting a second mini as a home theater PC.

It would be headless in my entertainment center. I have about 60gb in music media and about 10gb in movies. I will eventually get a blu-Ray ripper and convert about 15 additional movies over as well.

I would be playing/streaming to panels connected to a couple of 4K FireTV’s and 1 4K ATV.

Lastly I have a toddler aged child, so at the most two clients streaming/playing media for the next few years.

Which config 2018 Mac mini would you suggest for this use case?

ysvsr1

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2013
I’m toying around with the idea of getting a second mini as a home theater PC.

It would be headless in my entertainment center. I have about 60gb in music media and about 10gb in movies. I will eventually get a blu-Ray ripper and convert about 15 additional movies over as well.

I would be playing/streaming to panels connected to a couple of 4K FireTV’s and 1 4K ATV.

Lastly I have a toddler aged child, so at the most two clients streaming/playing media for the next few years.

I5/256/8 configuration should be good enough for media center and video tasks. I am using the same for plex and I am happy with its performance.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Mac mini makes a reasonable server. I’m running the i5 as mine. Unfortunately there are some (Apple-limitations) downsides if you’re re-encoding media, but for direct play it’s great.

F-Train

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
If you're set on a 2018, great, but I'm using a 2014 Fusion drive mini to play video and music, and it's more than up to the task. If a 2018 mini, I don't see why you'd need more than an i3/128GB, but perhaps others can provide a reason. Personally, for the use you describe, and if I didn't need macOS apps on the machine, I'd buy the cheapest computer that can do the job and run Linux or Windows (taking into account, when working out cost, that a Windows 10 Home license costs about U.S.$100).

Last edited:

mcnallym

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
Base i3/8gb/128gb would be fine. I use that with a drobo5c as my iTunes server and is more then adequate for the job.

Reactions: F-Train

archer75

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I run mine as a server and my main desktop PC. Plex serving all content. But my TV's all have streaming devices. I have a couple of apple tv's, some chromecasts, rokus, shield, and others.
HTPC's aren't worth it anymore. Not when streaming devices do the job so much better.
You have a mac pro. Plug a drobo in it and use that. Much better solution IMO.

At this point I have 1500 movies, housed on a drobo connected to the mini.

Last edited: