Buying Advice: Mac-Mini or Macbook Pro ??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by A4orce84, Apr 25, 2012.

1. A4orce84 macrumors 6502

Hello Everyone,

I was looking to get opinions on what would be the best Apple device to get for my home. I have an old desktop that's showing its age, and am interested in getting involved in Apple, so was thinking about getting a mac mini or a Macbook Pro (MBP).

It seems that I can get a used Mac Mini for around $300-500, and a used MBP for about $800-1000. Obviously the MBP is more expensive, but is it also 'better?' Or is the mac-mini just as good.

For sake of comparison let's say they are both similar specs in terms of processor (Core 2 duo) with a heft 4-8 gigs of memory.

What is everyone's stance / opinions / feedback / on which device to get?

Thanks,

--Asif

2. Liquinn Suspended

I have a Mini and 27" Thunderbolt Display and the real estate is good. I'd go for a Macbook Pro and 27" Thunderbolt Display too. (I'm getting the 15" 2012) so I'd get all of it if you can afford to do so.

The Mini is a good desktop if you upgrade the 2GB you get on the base model to 8GB or so.

Cheers.

3. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Mac mini 2010 (Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz) with 8GB of RAM here.

Really nice system, go for it if you don't mind being tied to a desk and already have a good monitor, USB keyboard and mouse.

Just make sure your devices are compatible, there's no VGA or PS/2 ports on Macs.

With all of that said, hopefully my next system will be a laptop. I don't like being tied to a desk anymore.