Buying advice (March 2011)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Relentlos, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Relentlos macrumors member

Relentlos

I have an old iMac I got in late 2006 with Tiger. I had no working computer at the time, and never knew what was going on in the world of mac. Had I known, I may have held off because they released the aluminum iMacs with slightly more power, bigger screens, and OS X Leopard the following year.

I just got a new iPod to use as my personal Mp3 player/Camera/Camcorder, but it refuses to work on my iMac. Apple supports Windows XP, but not Tiger for some reason. This isn't a HUGE issue because I do have a laptop running windows 7 to sync up, but I think it's about time to look for a new mac anyway.

The actual question
    I just want to know what's in the works for 2011/2012. I heard about OS X "Lion" just after making fun of the names with a friend. I was surprised because I said the next one will probably be "Lion", and then "House Cat". So far I'm right.. lol

I just don't want to decide on an iMac, take it home, then find out that my model's been so quickly replaced with a new one running OS X Lion (Especially if it happens within the same year).

Also where can I go for this info myself? What's the most up-to-date source?

2. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

well according to our lovely mac rumors buyer guide:
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac

"buy it if you need it"

im guessing within the next couple of months there will be an updated iMac with OSX Lion..with of course Sandy Bridge and the works... So if you can wait.. WAIT!! :p
    and if you want to buy now.. BUY NOW!!!
    but seriously wait.

3. Relentlos thread starter macrumors member

Relentlos

Good to know. I can wait.

I can sync with Windows 7 on the laptop until Lion comes out. Then I can finally be up to date! (for a few weeks anyway)

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I wouldn't count on it. I have it on good authority that 10.8 will be called "Serious Cat" and 10.9 will be "Ceiling Cat."