Buying Advice MB,MBA,MBP Help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by winuxgeek, Mar 16, 2008.

1. winuxgeek macrumors newbie

My first post. Hooray! Well.. I'll just come out and say it. I am.. another indisisive apple notebook buyer (who isn't). I'll start off with some history. Like many of you, I was once addicted to purchasing the latest and greatest computers. As I grew up (i feel so old, 21) I've slowed down with my 6 month laptop upgrade tradition. By trade I'm a network technician and a aspiring web entrepreneur. Over the last year I have sold most of my unused computers and I am now left with a dell inspiron 6400 series laptop. The time has finally come and I am due for a new laptop. But wait! There are so many choices! As I started with technology as a profession I have found myself using it less at home. To date this laptop is used for web browsing (from every orphic of my home), email, online poker, etc.. Very light work. For these basic needs the macbook air seems like the perfect choice... but my dreams to get more involved with web development and projects of that nature have me leaning toward a macbook pro. I've owned, and ultimately sold, both a first gen black macbook and a macbook pro. My first macbook pro suffered from the every so popular heat issues.. and my black macbook.. well its texture and staining drove me to the point of selling it. So what do you think.. What laptop is right for me? Ugh.. Why is this so hard!

2. winuxgeek thread starter macrumors newbie

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

That's because your first post is long and unorganized. Most people won't bother to read the whole thing.

If your only uses are browsing, email, and some web dev, an MB or MBA will do these things just fine.

The MBA is only worth it if you a) have another computer to do the heavy lifting, and b) absolutely need the portability and style of this computer. Otherwise, you'll get way more bang for your buck with an MB

The extra power of an MBP is not really needed for hand coding, since those files are, in essence, basic text files. I do a lot of coding on my MBP, and find the real advantage is the extra screen real estate, not the faster processor/gpu. But lots of people on these forums and elsewhere use MBs to code, so don't let screen size be the sole determining factor.