Buying advice needed for a switcher

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rebis, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Rebis macrumors newbie

Hey mac users, I'm about to join the darkside :D I'm not a native english speaker so work wit me please.

I'm about to return to college at my old age now I have enough free time and money to be able to do this. So i want to leave windows behind and try my hands on a mac, but what Mac is the question, for me it will be between a macbook or a macbook pro, the following things make it dificult fr me to choose:

-what screen size? is 13,3 inch big enough for document handling? is 15,4 inch mor then I need? the small factor does look cute and very handy for moving around with

-what about the macbook pro led screen problems? is it to risky?

-does the macbook pro get to hot to handle?

-is the macbook keyboard good enough for typing big documents? I do like the sturdy look of the macbook keyboard.

So what do you gusy sugest? I think the macbook has a nice cute look, very mobile too, but i do not want to buy a macbook if it is not up for the job.

thnx for the help!

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If you're typing stuff, the Macbook will be fine. The keyboard is actually the best I've ever used on a laptop.

If you find yourself needing a larger screen for documents, you can get an external LCD monitor, which will give you a much bigger working area than the MBP screen + the greater flexibility of the Macbook, all for several hundred dollars less than the entry MBP.

3. Rebis thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm that sounds like the words I want to hear, meaning I prefer te macbook look and mobilty above the macbook pro, but not to any cost.

Good to hear that the macbook keyboard is good for typing, you feel the 13,3 screen is also good enough to handle documents or do you think an extrenal monitor is a must with a macbook?

4. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

The MB's are excellent. Keyboard is nice and I find the screen plenty
    big for most everything. And it runs pretty cool (even in my Tx house
    where it is often in the 80's.) Fans come on once every few hours for about 3-4 minutes.

5. Rebis thread starter macrumors newbie

sound good! you do not mind it is a glossy screen? how is the reflection problem?

ps. is the standard 2GB plenty or should I go for 4 GB?

6. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Buy it with the base amount of RAM, and see if 2GB is okay. If not, buying 4GB is pretty cheap, and adding it in is a snap; 5 minutes tops. You can do it all for under $100...

7. bamaworks macrumors 6502

I typed a whole Thesis on a Macbook, so I don't think it has any trouble handling documents :).

8. Rebis thread starter macrumors newbie

ah that is good to hear as I be writing loads of documents if all goes well :) So it felt comfortable handling big documents on the 13,3 inch screen? The screen being glossy is not a problem with reflections and all?

I'm also planning to buy office with my macbook to be compatible with my documents.

So it is easy to install the memory yourself? you keep your waranty when you do?

9. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I've never used (or felt the need for) an external monitor on mine. And wrt to the glossy issue, people here vastly overstate the reflections of glossy screens. There are very few events where I've wished I had a matte screen.

Yes and yes. You don't really need more than 2gb for typing, surfing, etc, though 4gb will come in handy some years from now.

10. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

For viewing and writing documents, the 13.3 inch screen is big enough allowing you to see everything clearly. Of course, you can also attach it up to a larger screen if you want. And I agree, the keyboard is very nice to type on and personally prefer it to the MBP keyboard.

11. Rebis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thnx for all the very helpfull advice guys.

I notice that everyone thinks the macbook will be up to the job at hand, which is good because I prefer the macbook look above the one of the macbook pro,

but it does look like the macbook is more populaire then the pro?

ps. is the standaard 2GB enough or should I upgrade to 4 Gb?

12. Rebis thread starter macrumors newbie

in other words does OS X leopard need more then the stock 2 GB, I read diferent things..

13. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

My MB came with 1GB [it was a refurb]. I added 4, because I had to replace both sticks anyway. It screams! I've had no beachballs, or slow downs at all. Other may say different...