Buying advice needed: ipad1 vs ipad2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by esselinj, Jan 23, 2011.

  1. esselinj macrumors newbie

    Jan 23, 2011

    I am travelling to the States this week and I am thinking of buying an iPad there. However I keep on reading about rumours that the iPad2 will be launched shortly. I am still in serious doubt wether I should buy the iPad 1 or should wait for the iPad2. I am planning to use the ipad mainly as my travelcompanion to watch movies, browse the web and read some books.

    Some inhibitors for buying an iPad1 vs the ipad2 is that the ipad 2 seems to have a better display (less flickering) and a external USB/ SD port so you can upload files directly.

    I am looking forward towards your opinion

  2. stridemat Moderator


    Staff Member

    Apr 2, 2008
    As nobody knows the features the iPad 2 is going to have its hard to make an educated decision. You have to think if the current iPad will fulfill the role you need it to?
  3. bluemonkeyguy macrumors 6502

    Sep 7, 2010
    Just wait a little bit more and buy iPad 2. Then you won't have any regrets or hassles. Movies, web , etc., you can just hold on. I've been holding on since august, and i'm a college student:eek:. Take my advice and you'll be happier, believe me.
  4. EbolaMonkey, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011

    EbolaMonkey macrumors member


    Jul 22, 2010
    there needed to be a sticky on this subject at LEAST 2 months ago.

    We're real close to seeing the iPad2, and you're going to be charged full price for an iPad at this point. Just chill out for a bit ... that's what I'm doing ;)
  5. wesrk macrumors 6502a

    Nov 4, 2007
    Seems like you're in no real need to have one. I would wait and see where we stand a month from now.
  6. THFourteen macrumors 6502a


    Apr 8, 2010
    my educated guess based on absolutely nothing but gut instinct is that we wont be seeing a new ipad until april / may in the UK at the earliest.
  7. LaughingAtYou macrumors newbie

    Jan 15, 2011
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Honestly, I don't understand why people ask these questions when they can easily figure it out themselves.

    Anyways if you have to ask, then its a "want", not a "need". (Well its definitely a "want" for you. Haha) Just wait a month or two.
  8. contacted macrumors newbie

    Dec 19, 2010
    and if the iPad 2 doesn't have all the features you need, then a iPad should be alot cheaper by then.
  9. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

    Aug 5, 2010
    Sounds like iPad1 would suit your needs just fine. There is no flickering on the display. Seriously doubt iPad2 will have USB. If it has SD it will probably be crippled in some way :D
  10. maflynn, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011

    maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    I went with the iPad 1, because it satisfied my need for instant gratification :p

    Seriously, I've been mulling this over for months and doing research. While I could have wait two maybe three more months, I figured why do without it any longer.

    So the iPad 2 may have a faster processor, which may or may not be dual core.
    The battery will be the same or a tad better (maybe a bit worse) then the iPad 1.
    The screen should be the same though its possible to have a non ips retina display. (using an ips panel with such a high pixel density would probably drive the cost up too much).
    There will be a camera though rather low in the Megappixels
    There may be an SD slot and/or a mini display port

    Overall, what could the iPad 2 have that would make you wait? A better display, more ram, faster cpu?

    For me other then the possibility of a retina display nothing else motivated me to wait, so I didn't. I'm happy I decided to opt for one now and its usefulness is showing itself on a daily basis.

    On the off chance that apple does add features that I cannot live without, then I would sell my iPad 1 and while I'd not get what I paid for, it would be enough to largely offset the cost of a new one.
  11. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

    Dec 2, 2008
    Just Do It

    If the current iPad does what you want, then buy it.

Share This Page