Buying advice needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by budge9, Jul 6, 2011.

1. budge9 macrumors member

I've had my macbook for 5 years but I'm now looking to get a macbook pro. I just wondered if anybody knew of any new versions or updates that are coming out soon that I should wait for?

Isn't there ios5(??) or something for operating system coming out later in the year. Please excuse my ignorance but I find it hard to keep up with everything apple related given the pace it all changes.

I want to get one with the biggest hard drive but the additional extras seem to suggest reducing the size- is that correct? I'm trying to work out if it's worth increasing the RAM as well or whether the improvement is so slight I should just order the standard one. I'm thinking 15 inch screen as 17 just seems a bit too big. What do you think~?

Is it worth paying a couple of hundred quid for the faster processor?

Thanks a million!

2. RoyalFlushAK(s) macrumors member

3. Philflow macrumors 65816

For the average user? not at all.

For a heavy power user? probably yes.

4. ahdickter macrumors 6502

iOS 5 is for the iPhone/iPod/iPad family. OS X Lion (the next operating system) will be released in the next few weeks, but you can get a free upgrade if you buy now.

Honestly, unless you do intense gaming/video editing, you won't see any difference. Same with ram: 4GB serves most, 8GB will come in handy with Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, etc...

An SSD will greatly increase speed, but it's expensive. If you really want speed and you don't have a lot of media (music, pics, video) an SSD might be good for you.

Good luck! :)