buying advice needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cyberc, Jul 17, 2015.

  1. cyberc macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 18, 2014
    Location:
    Denmark
    #1
    Hi


    I'm currently in the marked for a new Mac. I currently own a Thunderbolt Display and a Mac mini from 2009. My late rmbp from 2013 used to be hooked up to the thunderbolt.

    I need the new Mac to replace the mini since it's not capable of transcoding plex streams in 1080p with subtitles and run VMware fusion.

    So basically I need the new Mac to
    1. run plex and be able to transcode 1080p with subs.
    2 run vmware fusion (only one Windows Guest)
    3 handbrake transcoding
    4. Photoshop editing.
    5. Basic web browsing etc

    I have already tried the latest midrange Mac mini and the VMware does not run well. But the plex runs fine, but handbrake takes too long to complete.

    With an iMac I'm stuck with two displays, I really only need one. With an iMac can I turn off the display when the computer transcodes or streams?


    What are my best options?

    Regards
     
  2. zhenya macrumors 603

    zhenya

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2005
    #2
    How are you are 'stuck' with two displays if you buy an iMac?
     
  3. c55 macrumors regular

    c55

    Joined:
    May 3, 2015
    #3
    I'll take that extra screen off your hands if you'd like...

    I'll even pay the shipping ;)

    control-shift-eject shuts off the screen on an iMac.
     
  4. cyberc thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 18, 2014
    Location:
    Denmark
    #4
    I'm stuck with two displays since I already have a Thunderbolt Display and only need one display.

    Thanks for the offer though

    What would best options be?

    I see a lot of used nMP on eBay at an affordable price compared to a new one. I guess buying a used nMP would give me at least some years before I should upgrade again?

    Any thoughts

    Regards.
     
  5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

    Dark Void

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2011
    #5
    Try locating an i7 2012 Mini, otherwise you are limited to the Mac Pro if you are opposed to iMac/clamshell notebooks.
     
  6. zhenya macrumors 603

    zhenya

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2005
    #6
    Why not sell the Thunderbolt display to offset a good portion of the cost of a new iMac? Those, like most Apple products, generally hold their value well, right? The iMac seems to be the computer you need.
     
  7. cyberc thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 18, 2014
    Location:
    Denmark
    #7
    Both suggestions seems a good idea, I'll see what will be the easiest or most affordable to do.

    If I should go for an iMac wouldn't it be best to wait until they upgrade them, they haven't been upgraded for a long time except the 5k model.

    Thanks guys

    Regards.
     
  8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #8
    They may get a skylake update in fall..... But that is going to make no difference really maybe 5-10% performance increase whoop de whoop, although Thunderbolt 3 will probably give you 5K external screen options you don't want more screens.

    There is literally nothing in skylake that will matter to you your use case would be fine on the new macbook....
     

Share This Page