Buying advice needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jonawand, Sep 13, 2017.

  1. jonawand macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2013
    Location:
    Belgium
    #1
    Hi guys!

    In November 2013 I bought my first Macbook Pro 13' (Retina, 16GB, 265SSD) for 1650 Euro
    Had some problems over time, after multiple repairs Apple gave me a new Macbook Pro Early 2015 13' (16GB, 265SSD)

    This is the one I currently own.

    I'm considering selling it for around 1000 euro second hand. Then I would buy the new one with the Touchbar (16GB, 265SSD) for around 2100 Euro with a free pair of Beats SoloHD (worth 300 euro, about 200-250 second hand as I don't care for it that much)

    I guess what i'm asking is is it the right time to upgrade?
    Pay 1100 (or 900 if I sell the Beats) to get a new Macbook with new 2 year warranty.
    If I wait longer it will get less for my current Macbook second hand.
    Are we expecting an update on the Macbook Pro in November? Or would it rather be early 2018?

    Thanks in advance
     
  2. davygee macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2015
    Location:
    Saltcoats, UK
    #2
    Naturally...the longer you wait, the less you get for your current MacBook second hand, but the majority of the depreciation has already happened....it will gradually go down. Remember you have the one of the last rMBP's with all the ports (ie not just USB-C), so it will still be desireable for the next few years on the 2nd hand market.

    Also, we are unlikely to get new MBP's this year. Not (maybe) until Summer 2018, and there is the possibility that we will see a much more significant increase in processor power compared to the last 3-4 years.

    In short, I personally don't think going from your current setup to a 2017 and costing at least 900 euros to do so, is a sound move unless you are desperate for the new tech now.
     
  3. jonawand thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2013
    Location:
    Belgium
    #3
    Yeah i'm really doubting wether I should do it or not.
    Having new warranty is nice, but on the other hand I haven't got any problems with this macbook so far and it does the job just fine.
    Around 1000 euro to upgrade might indeed be less of a deal than I thought
     
  4. davygee macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2015
    Location:
    Saltcoats, UK
    #4
    It's all a personal choice though. I "personally" would wait til next year to see what comes out. In my opinion, your current machine won't depreciate by more then 150 euros within the next 12 months....and I have the feeling that next years MBP will be a significant enough power upgrade to warrant losing 150 euros by waiting another year.
     
  5. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

    AFEPPL

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2014
    Location:
    England
    #5
    What's the work flow - what can't you do, or what are you lacking on the current device?
    In terms of financial sense, I don't see it makes any sense at all to change.

    Desire, that's something else.
     
  6. jonawand thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2013
    Location:
    Belgium
    #6
    It does the job perfectly, main Adobe Ps, Ai and Id, some front-end coding and personal use.

    Desire is also a part of it indeed, maybe more than I would like to admit

    But I reckon in 2 years I would need an upgrade, which would cost 1800-1900 probably for a mid range 13' model.
    But how much will my current machine be worth in 2 years? 500-600 euro?
    So it would set me back 1300 euro roughly, whereas now a little under a 1000 euro.
     

Share This Page

5 September 13, 2017