Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neil1981

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Southampton, UK
Hi all,

i currently have an iPad Pro 12.9 2018 model.

I used to use it every day but having recently changed jobs it’s now just sitting on the bedside table and only gets used for web browsing and emails. I’m also finding that its not particularly comfortable for use in bed due to its size so I’m thinking of trading it in for a smaller model.

So out of the current iPad range which model would you recommend? I was thinking of a Mini 5 but I’m not sure if having such a small screen after such a big one would be a good idea. The other options are the 10.5 or an Air 3.

Any advantages or disadvantages with the current line up?

Thanks.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Only iPad Pro models have Promotion and 4 speakers and FaceID.
Only the current Pro models support the second generation pencil.

Apple usually has a comparison part on their website for most product groups. I recommend you have a check.

Other than that, all iPads are pretty good devices in my opinion, it boils down to the screen size that works best for you.

neil1981

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Southampton, UK
To be honest I never use any of those features. I find the speakers too tinny and prefer to use headphones. FaceID never works for me as I tend to hold the iPad too near to my face or if I’m using it on my chest in bed then the camera is too high. And I‘ve never really seen any difference with Promotion. I guess my eyesight isn’t as good as it was.

I’m now torn between the Air 3 and the Mini 5. On paper they look like the same internals just in different form factors.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Mini 5. Same specs except better ppi which means sharper screen. Cheaper. If you find it too small then get other later.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
FaceID never works for me as I tend to hold the iPad too near to my face
You’re holding a 12.9 too close too your face due to poor vision and you’re considering downgrading to a smaller iPad?

Last edited:

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
I just got the mini 5 after having regular iPads and one Pro. So far the size hasn’t been an issue and the thing is packed with solid internals that will be supported by Apple for quite some time. I’d give it a shot, if you are not happy return it and get the Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.