Buying Advice New iMac Vs older Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by organicpixels, Jul 4, 2009.

1. organicpixels macrumors member

Ok, so I do video editing and Graphics. I just sold my PowerMac Dual G5 because I see the future death on the horizon for PPC with Snow Leopard coming out. My budget is right around 1500.00. I'm looking at either a newer 24" iMac with the 8gb Ram capacity or buying an older used intel MacPro. The pros with the Mac Pro is the capability of expanding. The cons, it's older and potential for issues are higher.

The pros for the iMac. New ones have 8gb Ram Capacity and secondary monitor support. Newer and possibility for apple warranty.
    Cons, can't upgrade video card or install other cards such as RAID cards.

I'm not doing any Motion picture work and my workflow is mainly digital.

2. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

i would get the mac pro. Allows for more expansion and configuration changes. iMac's are basically laptop hardware and don't allow to much modification.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Well... bad luck.

Mac Pro, you are going to miss the expandability.

4. organicpixels thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the link. Didn't know about that. But to be honest, I'm happy with the deal I got for my PowerMac. With the 64bit software development for snow leopard and already finding apps not compatible for PPC (CS4) I'm happy to move along. I'll have to research some more on used older MacPros. Any one have any good leads?