buying advice - old vs new/newer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nathansz, Apr 18, 2018.

1. nathansz macrumors regular

hello all,

i need a macbook pro to run mainstage.
    that will be it’s only purpose.
    i’m trying to wrap my head around the macbook pro line up and can’t figure out whether it’s worth it to buy a new or even “newer” machine.
    there are some used machines available that are super affordable.

(particularly this quad core for $450cdn

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...-15-early-2011-unibody-thunderbolt-specs.html)

that have much higher geekbench scores than even some of the current machines

(in the case of this particular machine the current owner has already installed an ssd but i would do that anyway)

is there something i don’t understand or does that mean that these older machines are more powerful?

for the purpose of this machine i don’t care about graphics or battery life.

i understand that with age comes a higher risk of failure and that i won’t have a warranty. but i’m still trying to figure out what i would be getting if i payed five times as much for a less powerful machine.

there must be something super obvious that i’m missing, which is why i’m here asking.

thanks in advance for any input!

2. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

Simply put, newer machines have better graphics, are faster, and will generally last longer. And there is no way that an older machine like the 2011 you're looking at will have a better score than say, a 2015 or 2016 machine. Yes, you will pay more. I suggest going to the Canadian Apple refurbished on line site and look at what Apple has there. You can usually save around 15% or more and will get an Apple warranty.

3. nathansz thread starter macrumors regular

according to everymac it has a better multicore score than even some of the current macbook pros
    i’m guessing cuz it’s quad core?

4. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

Don't buy the 2011 15". I have one and it's been a great machine, especially with an SSD instead of the original hard drive, but the dGPU fails after a while. For a while Apple replaced it for free but now they don't.

There are ways to disable it but they are not perfect and leave you with a crippled machine. For instance, on mine I can't connect an external display, I can't change the brightness anymore, it won't come back from sleep and if I reset NVRAM or install a new version of macOS the changes I made to disable the GPU might be reset and the computer wouldn't boot again.

Also, it might be supported for maybe one more version of macOS but that's it.

You might not need the latest and the greatest but consider getting something a few years more recent at least. If you can wait for June 4th we might see new ones and the price of current ones will drop. You can get better value for your money after a release.

Yes, on multicore benchmarks even some of the newer 2 cores are going to be similar or slower to the older quad core but if you look at the single core they are much better. Also, the display on the newer ones is of a much higher resolution and you get a faster SSD. They are also much lighter and smaller but you might not care much about that.

5. nathansz thread starter macrumors regular

thanks glmnet i appreciate the heads up

it’s true that i don’t care about smaller or lighter

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604