Buying advice on 15" rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by neuronik, Jul 3, 2013.

1. neuronik macrumors newbie

Hi guys. Complete mac newbie here. Always been a Windows (and Linux) user but I have decided to take the plunge and try OS X. Also I really really like the retina screen and the 16:10 ratio.

I am eyeing the base model with 2.4/8/256 and educational discount. Unfortunately there are no refurbished base models available here in the UK. I have 2 questions:

1. Do you think 16GB ram are vital? I am going to run one VM all the time (Ubuntu).

2. I can wait until the end of August but I need a new machine by September. Do you think there is any chance of an update on the 15 rMBP before September?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Unless you'll be running a number of VMs simultaneously no, 16gb is not vital, its more of protection for the future, i.e., the ram is soldered onto the logic board. Even then if you're planning on keeping the laptop for 3 years or so then you may not even need the 16gb.

I'm thinking they'll be updating the machines in September or October not August but that's just my wild guess.

3. Memole macrumors member

well 8GB of ram will be good for next 2-4 years :)
    and since you said that you have been using Linux and Windows well good news for you
    you can run without problems in Native EFI mode both Linux and Windows so you dont need to run virtual machine as they will run on your macbook without any issues :)

and 15 rMBP wont be updated before September/October :(

4. zombiedave macrumors newbie

I was in the same boat as you, a windows man for years, but been using iOS for 4 years and thought, sod it! Going to go mac!

I have not received mine yet ( preparing for dispatch as i type) but I have been playing with a friends. Mac is taking some getting used to as I actually at this time prefer windows still.....but I think only because I am familiar with windows.

Give me a couple of months with mine and I suspect windows will be a distant memory.....

Oh, I ordered the other standard model, for no other reason than I could stretch to it, but the base would have been sufficient. overkill i know but what the hell! Got the £70 app card also so extra smiles!

5. neuronik thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your replies. I still don't like the idea of spending so much money for almost a year old tech (even if it's still the best around). I'll probably wait until August in the hopes of an unexpected refresh or at least a good deal on the base model.

6. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

The longer you can wait the better. There is an outside chance the rMBP's will be updated before August. But I wouldn't hold my breath. It's more likely it will be in September or October.

If you can wait until late August there should be some good third party seller deals on the current rMBP's.

7. foxf8 macrumors member

go ahead get it with those stats. i have the same stats on my rmbp but i did upgrade to the 16gb and i have ran on vm windows and linux. first of all my mac usually hovers around 3gb of use iv gone up to 10gb once but its not like windows u probably thinking right now as u read that what do u have open to hit 10gb and the first time i saw my usage i was like what is open i closed everything and its still at 10gb!!! in windows when u close something its closed and your ram count goes down right then and there. in mac u close something and it acts like a smartphone it still simi open in the background in case u open it again it well open faster since it never fully closed. and thats how i got to 10gb a full day of use opening closing things editing, web, email blah blah. but unlike windows if u cap out, u cap out and u slow down. if u cap out on a mac because of the simi open programs mac os is like ok fine u need more room ill fully close these programs iv been simi holding open to let u have more room. so even tho it says u capped out its never fully capped out or never fully as full as it says it is. so it never slows down due to ram because u got to think it says its at 5-6 but in reality its at what 1gb for real. mac os is unix based and like linux is a joke to run its so light same for mac os. tho the mac os is pretty smart when it comes to ram usage.

with that said linux is joke to run its light os u can give that vm 2gb be fine u know lol. windows 3-4 and your still good. if u can, just get the 16gb be done with it. more so planning for the future if u plan to hold onto this laptop 4-5+ years down the road