Buying Advice on Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by acedrums, Sep 13, 2009.

1. acedrums macrumors member

Heres the deal:
    As you can see, I have a "Classic Edition" mac. Although I am a little mad about the lack of Firewire, honestly, I have no complaints about it. Its my baby and I use it on everything (from recording to graphics). BUT that firewire is really starting to become a nag in the ear, SO I did research and the Mac mini seems like a good replacement of a desktop but still small like a macbook. HOWEVER, I don't want to make the same mistake twice so I would like advice cause im on a budget (actually, when I mean thinking, i mean: waiting four to five months before purchasing). Also, a monitor is not an issue. I have one, and the cords are cheap to purchase. So, any advice would be helpful (INCLUDING how to get it cheaper). Thank you!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I always think that the iMac is a better value, even if you already have a monitor.

3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I would get a Mac Mini right now since the earliest they can be updated is in February - June 2010. There are 3 ways you can get a Mac Mini cheap.

1. Apple.com + Education Discount
    $549.99 w/o tax
    2. Apple Refurbished Mac Mini (keep checking daily for them to be in stock)
    $499 w/o tax
    3. Amazon.com
    $577.95 no tax

4. acedrums thread starter macrumors member

would it be a better idea to save up and get Imac or is mac mini just as good?

5. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Mostly everyone here will tell you to get an iMac. In my opinion, the Mac Mini is more than enough, it's cheaper than the iMac and it handles everything I do.

6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

a imac is over double the price but it looks only a little faster. Plus with a mac mini you have far more monitor choices. in two or three years get another mini and you still have not spent what you would on a imac.

7. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I have both and still like my Imac better. IMO its faster and I like the overall footprint. The Mac Mini is good but then I had to buy a Monitor and that wasn't that cheap to find a good one. Look for a Refurbished Imac.

8. chill. macrumors 6502

you might want to consider selling your macbook and purchasing a new/refurb macbook/p with firewire

i think it would be cheaper than buying a mini/imac and a hell of a lot more convenient