Buying Advice?? Please and Thank You

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by happypeople, Aug 20, 2014.

1. happypeople macrumors member

Hello Everyone!

I am looking for some buying advice on the rMBP and would appreciate any opinions or tips anyone is wiling to share with me.

I am currently using a mid 2009 13" MacBook Pro
    2.53 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo,
    4GB ram,
    480 GB transcend SSD that I installed,
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256MB).

I am interested in getting the 15" rMBP with the following specs:
    2.8GHz quad core intel core i7, turbo boost up to 4.0GHz
    512GB PCIe SSD
    16GB ram
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

My use is extremely varied. I am a university student doing physics & energy science, looking to transfer to engineering. So my computer will be used everyday for school work.

I also use Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom daily as well as other photography software. (Note that I will be using external drives to store my raw images and edited images. If anyone has any recommendations on any reliable usb 3 or thunderbolt 1 or 2 portable external drives that are not super expensive, I would appreciate the feedback.)

I do some minor video editing and rendering in 720p and 1080p.
    I would like the ability to run 1-2 displays at 1920 x 1080 at 60-120Hz if possible. (Not sure what cables / adapters I would need for this).

Very light and infrequent gaming, nothing more than Civilization 5, minecraft and maybe portal every now and again.

I also primarily use my computer for my movie viewing and music listening - my entire music collection will be stored on the machine and not on external drives. I do not use iCloud for my iPhone or iPad backups.

I always have at least 4 desktops running at once. The ability to have multiple browsers, Photoshop, Lightroom, iTunes, pages, one note and any other software running smoothly all at once is ideal.

I probably won't upgrade this machine for another 5 years if not longer, so I would like to future proof myself as much as possible. I am in no rush to make a purchase and am seriously considering waiting till the broadwell refresh and am just looking for other people's opinions on what I should do and if these specs seem like a good choice for my needs.

Thank you!

2. voyager1 macrumors newbie

Hdmi?

im considering buying a new mbp retina 13 and hooking it up to my samsung hd monitor. i have however read multiple comments online all complaining about a problem with the hdmi interface when considering attaching the mpr13 to a monitor. i need to know if this is a widespread problem affecting all mpr 13 computers or is it isolated. i cannot buy the macbook until i know for sure i can connect via hdmi to my hdmi screen. many thanks.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

You can buy, try and return if you get issues - that is what the 14-day return period is for....

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Based on your usage, the configuration you have shown should be able to handle it. The only question I have is the 512GB SSD storage. If you'll be storing your images on an external drive do you need that large of an SSD?

5. happypeople thread starter macrumors member

You bring up a very good point, while the 512GB SSD might be a little much.
    I used to have a 250GB HDD in my current MBP, but it was constantly full, and since I upgraded it to a 480GB SSD, I wouldn't want to go back to having less storage. I have a lot of documents and some photographs as well as software on my computer at all times, as well as a couple movies and music. So having the extra storage is nice, as it allows me to not have to constantly be cleaning my drive.
    Plus, when I am not at home or when traveling just being able to unload raw images onto my machine and not have to worry about external drives is very helpful.