Buying advice, rMBP 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rajjejosefsson, Feb 11, 2014.

1. rajjejosefsson macrumors member

I'm thinking of buying a 15 inch macbook pro, and was wondering which one to choose.
    intend to use it for image editing.

2.0GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.2 GHz
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    256GB PCIe-based flash storage

8 GB or 16 GB of SDRAM?

or what do you prefer?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say given the lack of detail in your post, just that you edit images. I'd recommend 8GB. I'm not trying to be coy, but you can be a light photoshop user who could get by with less ram, or a professional who is a heavy PS user who opens up a large number of huge images at once.

At this stage of the game I'd say if you were going to upgrade anything, I'd go with the SSD, as I think the ram will be fine for now and the foreseeable future.

3. rajjejosefsson thread starter macrumors member

Right now I mostly use lightroom, and my photos are in raw format. also uses photoshop.
    but are not professional yet.

but i want the computer for a good while to come, too, so it is enough 8gb then? for hard drives, I have external.

4. Marty62 macrumors 6502

I only do "light" image editing but like to have several programs "open" at
    once, including iTunes/Youtube video's/Logic Pro9.

I have 8Gb RAM and often see well over 6Gb in use.

Works for me but perhaps 16Gb would be useful as you edit RAW files.

Just my 2 C's.

Martin.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

How long are you going to keep it?

Perhaps this thread may assist you: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1686227

Also, note that if you match the processor, RAM and SSD of the Iris-only model to that of the Iris+750M model, they both have exactly the same price. So the GT750M is like a free upgrade.

6. rajjejosefsson thread starter macrumors member

About 5 years i think.
    Have been looking at this setup

Intel Core i7 / 2.0 GHz
    15,4" Retina
    8or16 GB RAM / 256 GB flash
    its 450$ more then to get the expensive one here in Sweden . If i take 16 gb ram on the cheap one

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

you may only do light editing but you're using some intensive apps as well, Logic Pro and PS :)

If you're going to keep it 5 years then I'd change my recommendation from 8 to 16 as that's going further out into the future and we don't know what that is. I still say based on your needs 8gb should be enough but if you're looking to hold on to this for a while, maxing it out isn't a bad idea.

8. rajjejosefsson thread starter macrumors member

Okey thanks, i'll go for 16 and i usually have many tabs up and programs at the same time.

does this look okey for me? 2,0 is enough?

2,0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    16 GB 1600 MHz
    256 GB PCIe-
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It should be enough.

Note: If you match the processor, RAM and SSD on the Iris-only with the Iris+750M model, they're both priced identically.

10. rajjejosefsson thread starter macrumors member

Okey thanks! but my setup is best for me and pricetag then, thanks for the help evreyone

11. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

How much space do these RAW image files take up? You might find 256 GB mighty slim one you start offloading pictures from your camera.

12. RMXO macrumors 6502a

13. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Same Dilemma I am in also !! Plan to Hold the 15' rMBP for a while I don't think SSD is so much of a problem considering if need be, you can always have an external one. RAM you cannot upgrade and I also have a lot of TABS, APPS, Programs open so going with a 16 GB of RAM that Makes sense right guys ? Even I was planning to go with a 2GHz Processor, but am thinking to upgrade the processor aswell to 2.3GHz do you think that would be required ? considering planning to hold it for a period of atleast 5 years aswell.

14. bjavor macrumors newbie

I was contemplating a 15" rMBP as well. I don't really want to hijack this thread, however as it is very similar I do not really want to open another one either...

Looking at the buyer's guide, it currently says that the rMBP is "approaching the end if a cycle"... Personally I don't think the October release was so long ago, but of course it might be annoying to buy one now only to get an update in a month or so. On the other hand, if you are always worried about that then you will never buy anything...

So I guess, what I'd like to ask is what you think the likelyhood is that a refreshed rMBP if and whenever that happens, could contain anything truely interesting beyond the ususal slight CPU etc. bump?

15. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

is the 15" rMBP getting a Face Lift :D in some days ?

16. rajjejosefsson, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014

rajjejosefsson thread starter macrumors member

i'll go for the 2.0, Can not be that much difference to the next one?
    Will place the order later today so i can get it next week. This is the most expensive computer I bought, so i cant be disappointed i hope!

Which router is the preferred one? i have a old Thomson TG712 now. got 20Mbps internet

17. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

16GB is the best because I had 8GB 2012 rMBP, I opened several apps leaving 3GB free. :apple:

18. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Uh ! So if you are saying you had 3 GB of RAM always free ? why are you suggesting others to go for 16 GB RAM ? :rolleyes:

19. The Clark macrumors regular

The Clark

I have the low end rMBP late 2013 and I've downloaded tons of heavy applications from Final Cut pro, to photoshop all while browsing and listening to music from iTunes, and I gotta say, for the extra few hundred it really doesn't seem just to spend that when the step below will suffice for your needs.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Unlike windows, free ram is wasted ram, OSX does a great job at managing its resources. The key metric to observe is page-ins, the number of times OSX has to read the disk for memory pages that were swapped out.

21. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Well I don't know much about MBP and I thought 8GB seems enough when I had 2GB Windows 7 desktop I opened Adobe CS5 and other programs. So 2GB seems ok with Windows desktop so when I was told they would offered me a rMBP base model 8GB seems plenty and I opened several CS6 apps along with FCPX and other programs leaving 3GB space for more apps to open. :apple:

----------

Thank you..Coming from many years of Windows PC desktop I don't know much about MBP memory management works. I am learning a bit about what Page in and out mean and other things. So Apple memory management is far superior than Windows PC? :apple:

22. k-hawinkler macrumors member

k-hawinkler

I just got a refurbished loaded 15" rMBP late 2013.
    Saved $600 USD. Looks like new.
    Everything working great, including its screen and a 9.5 year old ACD.

I got max memory and SSD so that the rMBP lasts 5 or 6 years.

23. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

acd ??

24. k-hawinkler macrumors member

k-hawinkler

ACD = 30" Apple Cinema Display

25. koban4max macrumors 68000

16 gb ram and 500gb ssd.