Buying Advice rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harry454, Oct 21, 2012.

1. harry454 macrumors 6502

Hi all, I am looking at getting the 15 inch rMBP. I wanted your opinion on whether or not I should pay $600 (here in Australia) to upgrade to the 768 gb ssd, or whether I should use that to get a synology Nas DS213+ or the DS212j with 4TB of storage?

I currently have a cMBP. Has 120 gb ssd and 1tb of storage in the optibay. I have noticed that majority of the data on the 1tb is just media (movies, tv shows and photos) I keep my music on my SSD.

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

2. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

I think you answered your own question in the 2nd part - if you only keep your media on the other drive, you could most certainly get by with buying an external HD and storing everything there, assuming you don't travel a lot. If you are going to be on the road for a day or two you could always copy over a few media files for the trip. Even if you do upgrade to a larger SSD instead you'll still want an external HD at home just to make frequent time machine backups.

3. harry454 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah it makes more sense, I don't travel a lot, here and there, and even then I doubt it fill my 512 with anything major. I suppose the NAS makes more sense, can also use it around the house with other devices.

I already have a 2 TB Time Machine just for backups!

4. zjazz macrumors 6502

You can always upgrade HD later if you will need extra storage, but on RMBP you won't be able to upgrade RAM later, so I would suggest instead of investing into 750GB get 500GB and spend difference on 16GB ram instead. My two cents:)

5. harry454 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you, I was actually already going to do the 16 GB ram, just to future proof it. As well get the 2.6 Ghz Model