buying advice - to wait or not to wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ljdbell, Nov 12, 2007.

1. ljdbell macrumors newbie

say apple bring out a new macbook pro at macworld 08 and i need a computer by the start of feburary. do u think there will be kinks that need to be worked out? so is it worth buying now knowing that there may be an upgrade (also how significant would that upgrade be?) or do i go with the new and possibily rough around the edges model?

cheers lachie

2. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I am waiting. I hope to get a 30" display and a 17" MBP. I am almost ready to go (it's a hell of a lot of money) but I think I will be annoyed if there's an update to either line at Christmas. Come christmas, I'll pony up the dough.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

when the macbooks were updated, the macbook pro added the 2.6 ghz option, so i'm guessing this will be the biggest update we'll see until at least macworld 08. i can't speculate how big the changes will be, but i'm guessing/hoping they'll be pretty big. the current design's been with us since the aluminum powerbooks came out. these are some things we could possibly look forward to:

• user-upgradeable hard drive
    • magnetic latch
    • new design/case
    • new imac/macbook-style keyboard
    again, the likelihood of such sweeping changes is unknown. if you can be happy with the current model knowing such changes are possible, go for the purchase and enjoy a very capable machine.

4. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

Im tired of peopel asking this question over and over.
    Just bite the bullet and get one.
    Macs hold there value so much that you could always resell to upgrade down the road.

5. hohohong macrumors 6502

I think they hold the value coz the design remains the same. Once they change it,... people will be able to tell if it's newer MBP by simply looking at the design, that's when MBP resell value will drop like rock,...

My 2 cents

6. koshper macrumors member

Agreed, that's what i want to do, however surely there is a security risk with selling on computers because of data recovery from the hard drives.

I will use mine for internet banking and all of my family photos etc. and I don't want the next person to be able to retrieve this information.

7. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I think your right, I remember going to a volvo dealership and they said any time a new model comes out the old ones value drops quite a bit.

To the OP If your really worried about issues then buy now, they're maybe a case redesign but it already looks really good. I mean look at the imac and all the issues there were when it came out. It's usually best to get the one with out all these problems unless you have to have the latest and greatest.

8. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

Exactly. Even if a new model is released this Jan, id still wait for the next upgrade when they have worked out the kinks and perfected it a little more.

So if you want to wait, youd be looking at probably almost a year.

9. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

The current Rev D MBP is so fine tuned that they're very few glitches, it's like buying a matured wine lol. I'd say buy it now and you won't regret anything.

10. cmaier macrumors G3

11. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

As many as it takes, If you don't like them then don't read them.
    Simple solution.

12. cmaier macrumors G3

I *do* like them, but why not have all the discussion in one place? There's a thread with a nearly identical title on the first page of active threads.

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

In all likelihood, longer threads would cause distress amongst newer members. Could you imagine if we had a thread with 3,000+(though not anymore; Arn's set the limit at 1,000) posts all answering the question of whether or not one should wait to buy a macbook now or later, or "glossy v matte," or "macbook or macbook pro?"

I know they seem annoying, but these threads are good because even visitors who don't register gain something from them.

</off topic>

OP, if you're looking for a macbook pro and need one now, then get it. As always, it comes down to needs. If you need the machine sooner rather than later, your best bet is to buy sooner.