Buying Advice- Which Refurb 15" is Best?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kitvan, Oct 29, 2011.

1. kitvan macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I know you get a ton of these Q's...but I'm in a bind and have to make a decision this weekend. I have already ordered the first of the two comp's listed (glossy), but a friend of mine brought his 15" Anti-Glare over last night and I'm having second thoughts...

My MBP use: Large photoshop projects, final cut pro editing, and X-Plane (which can be extremely taxing on the system, also XP 10 is coming out this winter which will be very heavy lifting). So make no mistake, any increase in CPu/GPU performance will be used.

The two machines:

1.) $1359 (purchased, in transit)
    Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.0GHz quad-core Intel i7
    Originally released February 2011
    15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit GLOSSY
    4GB (2 x 2GB) of 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    500GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
    8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 6490M

2.) $1829
    Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.2GHz quad-core Intel i7
    15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Hi-Res ANTIGLARE
    750GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 6750M

Between the faster processor, much better GPU and anti-glare display, do you guys think it's worth the extra $500?

One last consideration, RadTech makes an anti-glare film ($30) that I could potentially apply to a glossy display if needed.

thanks in advance, any opinions will be very much appreciated. :)

2. Spee macrumors newbie

The biggest difference that you should consider is the screen resolution. With the programs that you are using the more screen space the better. If you don't have an external monitor, another option would be to put some of the price difference into getting one.

I'd rank the differences between the two as follows. Only you can decide if the extra premium is worth it.

1 screen resolution
    2 glossy vs anti glare (this is a personal taste thing)
    3 graphics processor
    4 CPU
    5 hard drive

3. madisonfaye, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011

madisonfaye macrumors regular

madisonfaye

Okay I just edited my post like 5 times lol

BUT, Anti-glare vs Glossy is a personal choice. I swear by AG, but others say you can't get a better experience than Glossy. Hi-Res is also an issue of what you're using it for and if your eyes can handle it. If you've been using Glossy screens, you likely won't even notice glare.

Do you use your laptop in sunlight? Is being able to fit a lot on your screen a priority? (antiglare/hi-res)

or

Do you want a screen with richer colors? More durability/easier to clean? Cheaper? (glossy)

The processor difference is probably very small, the graphics card is definitely the nicest upgrade and what I consider to be the reason I went with the high-end.

You just need to decide, is 500$ worth that increase? I could tell you that it was for me, but thats biased and this sort of thing is a personal preference :( If you are happy with your purchase, keep it! Plus you could buy an iPad or the new iPhone with that difference :p

If you want a simple "what do you think I should get" response, if this was me, I'd go for the second option if I had the money. If not, the first is more than suitable.

4. tears2040 macrumors 6502

People make such a big deal over glossy screens.........

I used Mac computers for well over 10 years with a matte screen, heck my last MBP that I used day and night for almost 3 years had a matte screen. When I upgraded last year to an iMac that has a glossy screen I never even thought or cared about it.

Been handling a new MBP that has a glossy screen and I can honestly say who cares......

If you are getting reflections all you need to do is angle your screen different.

To the op, why are you comparing a refurbished computer to a new one? That second model you are looking at is at the refurbished store for less.

5. antonioanmar macrumors member

antonioanmar

I bought yesterday the same one that you describe in option 2 on the Spanish Apple Store. My use is mostly for my Aperture library, playing games as Dragon Age and in a close future Diablo III and the newest Elder Scroll. The other use wouldn't be a problem because it will be documents processing on iWork and FileMaker Pro.
    I think that this is the best option for me, and looking the use that you will do it will be also perfect for you. Option 1 could be a problem mostly for the games because the discrete graphic card is poor compare with this other one.

6. some idiot macrumors member

I think you'll be happier with the graphics card on the $1829 model. Whether the cost is worth it is a decision you'll have to make.

Maybe you should look at this one: http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0M1BLL/A

7. kitvan thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, thanks to everyone for your feedback. It helps to hear what other think...

I guess I didn't realize (can't believe I missed it) that the anti-glare has a higher resolution?!? Is this right? What sort of differences does this make in the user experience? I suppose it will make some webpages a little harder to read with the smaller text, right?

To answers one of your questions,

I almost never use the computer outside, for what it's worth. So the brightness of the glossy isn't really an issue, but the richer colors sound like a good think...

----------

Thanks. Yeah that's another option. Here are the specs from the refurb in the link above

15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1440-by-900 resolution
    500GB Serial ATA @ 7200 rpm
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 6750M

It looks like this one has the 7200rpm HD. What are the advantages of this? :confused:

8. madisonfaye macrumors regular

madisonfaye

Heres what my screen sees when I scroll up to the top of your post, I have the hi-res

Can someone with the regular resolution screenshot what they can see (expand Safari) to show the difference

Attached Files:

9. kitvan thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, as stated, photo editing is a big part of my MBP usage...

can anyone speak to the advantages/disadvantages of the higher-resolution screed.

probably a stupid question, I assume it would be a benefit...

10. madisonfaye macrumors regular

madisonfaye

I actually found a good comparison of size here

The AG screen looks washed out, but in reality the difference in color isn't as dramatic as is shown here (I owned both Glossy and AG)

[​IMG]

The advantage for me is that I can fit more on the screen. I have no disadvantages, but some people find it harder on the eyes if they have weak eyes.

11. kitvan thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting, yeah I guess that makes sense.

If you have the high-res, and you find the text too small for you can you just set the screen res to 1440, or the equivalent of the glossy to compensate?

Seems to me that would be the best of both worlds...

Edit: By the way, these forums are fantastic. Thanks to everyone for the quick responses!!

12. madisonfaye macrumors regular

madisonfaye

You can't change resolution because it becomes more blurry if its not its native resolution.

However you can increase font size in safari. I never feel text is too small personally. Try your friends AG out and see what you think.

13. madisonfaye macrumors regular

madisonfaye

I just increased my resolution and took a picture with my cellphone (sorry its so dark in here lol)

You can't really see the blur that well in it, but its noticeably blurry when you increase the resolution.

Attached Files:

14. kitvan thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, cool. Thanks for the help everyone. Very informative. :D

Seems to me the second machine (AG high-res / 6750 / 2.2ghz) is probably worth it in my situation... Probably gonna go ahead and order the $1829 machine.

I wonder if I can just return the first machine without having to open the box, etc. ? OR maybe take it to my local Apple store? Guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it...

15. madisonfaye macrumors regular

madisonfaye

Okay last post I swear :p

I switched from Glossy to AG, and I decided to do it the night I ordered it. I called Apple and they said it was already processed so I couldn't cancel.

They told me I'd have to send it back and they'd process a refund, and then I'd re-order the one I wanted. Took a few days for the the refund to process though :( But other than that, it wasn't bad!

Good luck deciding :)

16. kitvan thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks again.

I just hit the button and ordered the $1829 model. I figure I'll have it for 4+ years, so it's really a long term investment.

I plan on returning the glossy as soon as it arrives...but not before a trip to the apple store to see a direct comparison. :D

17. some idiot macrumors member

I think you made a good choice. If I was getting one right now, that's what I would get.