Buying Advice: Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thebigfish22, Jun 27, 2007.

1. thebigfish22 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I just bought a new Macbook and wanted to get a wireless router for my apartment. I use a cable modem connection now and wish to go wireless. Can any one recommend me a good wireless router for my setup? Do i need to get an airport? What is the airport? I'm really lost. Please help. Thanks.

2. nnick macrumors regular

nnick

Airport Express is great for an apartment. It is very easy to set up and allows you to plug in a USB printer but also a stereo or powered speakers to wirelessly stream your iTunes music to.

I am very glad I bought mine.

3. msharpmu macrumors regular

How does the airport connect to the speakers? Wirelessly?
    Or does the base station need to be near the speakers?

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It uses a mini stereo jack like your headphones. It should be within 15 feet or so of the stereo.

5. thebigfish22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not looking to hook up any speakers or anything just yet. Just want to be able to surf on my macbook anywhere in my apartment? Are there any wireless routers that just work better with Macs?

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The Airport Express works great as a wireless router. Along with the stereo jack it has a USB port to hook a printer up and an ethernet port to hook up your cable modem. It is simplicity itself. There are many others out there and most of them work very well with Macs.