Buying Advice With MacPro Quad-Core/8 Core

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacBrit, Mar 21, 2010.

1. MacBrit macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have finally had enough of windows after 12 years! Looking to buy a MacPro Quad-Core of a 8-core, but not sure which would suit my needs.

1) Used for work only...no gaming
    2) Needs to be able to run my 6 monitors (all Samsung, 19" x 4, 24" x 1, 23" x 1)
    3) Will only run the following software;
    a) Email program (used to be Outlook and Outlook Express)
    b) Photoshop CS3
    c) Word, Excel
    d) UltraEdit
    e) Cute FTP Pro
    f) BestCrypt
    g) FinalCut
    h) XAMPP

The computer will run 24 hours a day, and just need a set up that is fast! I have read that the Quad-Core is faster with certain programs that the 8-Core.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

2. ellenburstyn macrumors newbie

hiiiii

me too also having same problem can any give suggestion for this?

Online Bags

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

wait.

You waited this long, another couple of months wont hurt.

new MPs due anytime.

Although your list of things really sounds like you should be getting a PC, not a Mac.

4. martynmc7 macrumors regular

I agree wait, there's a chance the base model of the MP will be refreshed to 8-cores so your dilemma would be solved!

Also, I would say to the poster above that many new switchers sound like they may be better with a PC simply because a PC is all they have known, and so when listing software they usually list PC software! Part of the joy in switching is finding Mac equivalent programs that in some instances work better than their PC counter parts.

What I would say to the OP is that while you wait for the MP refresh (around June/July the rumours say) go searching around for native Mac equivalents to UltraEdit, Cute FTP Pro, BestCrypt and XAMPP. If you absolutely need these exact programs and plan to boot into Windows constantly just get a PC. If, however, you want to make a proper switch to OS X you may need to get different programs. Best just doing your homework and finding out whether different applications can fit your needs.

5. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Except for the Final Cut part - which cannot be a priority for you, actually, because you are still on Windows and Final Cut does not run on Windows - you are better off with a Windows machine.

Photoshop CS4 would run as a 64-Bit on a PC, but CS3 and CS4 on OS X are still 32-Bit apps. Office on Mac sucks (especially Entourage is a kludge) - you want to use the Windows version here, too.

That being said, you cannot have enough CPU cores in a workstation. :)