Buying Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bizcod, Oct 25, 2011.

1. bizcod macrumors newbie

In the market to replace my so-old-it-should-be-in-the-Smithsonian Mac with a new MacBook Pro. The recent refresh is nice. Definitely looking at the base model 15". I'm very familiar with the "if you need it now, buy it now" MR mantra. My question is...what has been the history of problems/issues with 1st generation major redesigns. Love to wait for Ivy Bridge...but wondering if it's best to let a cycle or 2 of a major redesign play out before making the big purchase. What's the history of issues with Apple 1st gen redesigns? Thanks for the advice....

2. designer1984 macrumors newbie

Well IMO, the first things that come to mind regarding redesign problems are iPhone 4 with its antenna connectivity issues (big flaw there,) or the Snow Leopard release (I think it was SL) where many users upgraded and lost all of their data - forced to do a clean upgrade I believe.

Not the best examples off the top of my head, but perhaps they'll give you some insight. Honestly, I purchased the last version of the pre-unibody MBP (mid-07) right before the upgrade, and yea at first when they released the new design I was sad, (I'm a product designer - appearances matter!) but I look back now and appreciate my decision b/c I've had less computer problems than colleagues working on early '07s or the first gen unibodies...

What people say about the later versions are true - the flaws have been fixed, the kinks resolved. Also, today I too placed my order for a newly updated 15.4" 2.2GHz MBP. I contemplated all the issues that [I'm sure] you're considering, and factors like time, current computer condition, price, and of course impatience and envy all played into my decision. The refresh is a good one and I'd say go for it if you need it and if you can shrug off/handle the tiny regret you feel when you see Apple's pretty pictures next year!

3. bizcod thread starter macrumors newbie

Good Point

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Enjoy your new computer!

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Bizcod--

This was not a major redesign - it was a minor spec bump. So I'd order away!

The original unibody introduction was relatively trouble-free - there are a LOT of the original unibody machines still working out there. Sure, there were occasional problems, but that's going to happen with any complex electronic device.