Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgw1283

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Tempe, AZ
I'm interested in getting a mini but wanted to get your opinions. I currently have a 2008 MBP 2.5ghz Core 2 Duo with 4GB 667mhz DDR2 RAM. I recently got a 22'' LED Samsung monitor so I figure a mini would be a nice upgrade. I was interested in an iMac but I think this route is better.

I'm looking at a 2.7 i7 with 4 or 8gb of RAM. Is this going to be good for gaming? Starcraft 2, Star Wars The Old Republic, etc? I don't game much on computer but if I'm going to upgrade, I want my machine to be able to handle it.

What are the main drawbacks of a Mac Mini? Also is there going to be a new one coming out soon?

Thanks!

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
My brother current plays WoW on a 2011 Mac Mini Server with 8GB RAM in RAID 0 and enjoys the bump over his old Dell. The Mac Mini Server has the Intel HD 3000 and with 8GB RAM OSX allocates 512MB to the integrated GPU. You can stretch the performance out a little more by using Kingston Hyper X PnP 1866MHz memory. I was also able to play Duke Nukem Forever on the Mac Mini Server. It all comes down to what resolution you want to play. The mid-range Mac Mini 2.7 GHz Dual-Core Intel i7 with discrete graphics will definitely play more modern games like BF3. However, you will have to decrease the resolution. FWIW, the Intel HD 3000 integrated graphics scores higher in Windows 7 experience index scores for office/business (6.4 to 5.7) and slightly lower for gaming (6.9 to 6.4).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.